The happy family

Chapter 13

James POV:

My eyes ached. I rubbed them tiredly. Beside me, Duncan yawned. This is what we get for playing competitive checkers all night. In the end I lost 3-17. Duncan's a little monster when it comes to stuff like board games.

My parents were glaring at us from across the table. Casey was giving me a series of nasty looks too and Chelsea was smiling and batting her eyelashes at me. This morning there was a whole lotta arguments coming from my family. They saw yesterday's newspaper and they weren't too happy. Casey was literally breathing smoke.

I fixed my gaze on my cereal. I don't like eating this rice stuff. I pushed my bowl away.

The doorbell rang. It was probably Sport or the mailman. I went with Sport and got up to answer the door.

It was an annoying blonde holding my newspaper. I took it from him and slammed the door shut. Moments later the doorbell rang again. I sighed and opened the door. Michelangelo entered the house.

"Nice picture," he commented. I frowned and opened the newspaper. Nothing on the front page.

"I'm talking about here," he said, handing me a torn out piece of a magazine article. That stupid kiss! I scowled.

"You two look very much in love," trilled Michelangelo.

"Why are you here?"

"The tiny cameras I placed in your room gave me a great idea yesterday," said Michelangelo. Tiny what?!

"You bugged my room?!"

"Yep. All in the name of science."

"I'm gonna bash your freaking face in all in the name if science!"

"That's no way to talk to the stork."

"Stork?" Something doesn't seem right.

"Stork. I'm pretending you and Duncan pulled an all nighter playing 'checkers' because I want to see how you react to raise a baby."

"We have Skylar."

"I meant an unborn baby."

"You're gonna make a pregnant lady follow us around?"

"James, shut up!"

I allowed myself a fleeting smirk.

"And no, I'm giving you this," he said pulling a small satchel out of his huge man bag. I couldn't help but snicker.

"Inside is an egg. I don't know what sort of egg because there was no mother in the nest. Pretend it's your unborn baby. Duncan has to carry it around everywhere or you could go penguin."

"So you did bug my room."

"Moving on, I think it's almost ready to hatch. After this egg hatches I want you to keep a very close eye on the baby, pretending its your new child."

"It's gonna be a frigging bird."

"Then pretend Duncan cheated on you, just treat the egg and whatever comes out of it like part of the family."

Michelangelo tossed the satchel at me. I grabbed it and glared at him. He smirked and left the house. I hate him so.

I went back to the kitchen. Duncan looked up from feeding Skylar.

"Dude, you're pregnant," I told him. He choked on his cereal. Mom and Dad coughed and sprayed coffee everywhere. Casey's mouth dropped open. I handed him the satchel.

"Technically speaking," I added after a brief hesitation. Duncan opened the satchel. He frowned at me. "An egg?"

"Michelangelo said you have to keep the egg and pretend you're pregnant," I droned, sliding into my seat and trying to pretend that my family wasn't looking angrily at me.