⚠️that suit is doing things to me⚠️

“Toni, where are you? The event’s about to start!” Her wife’s frantic tone echoes through the car’s sound system.

“I know, babe, I’m almost there, don’t worry,” Toni says, slamming on the breaks at a yellow light and cursing at her law-abiding brain.

“Okay, well, you picked a bad time to procrastinate, I might be getting an award!”

“I know, Cheryl, please just calm down, I’ll explain as soon as I get there.” Toni presses on the gas and makes a turn into the arena parking lot. The seatbelt presses into her stomach and she grimaces slightly.

“Whatever, I’ll see you soon.”

Toni can tell that her wife’s attitude stems from the anxiety of going on stage and the whole night she’s sure to be a wreck. She wishes she could’ve been there early but there were…other matters to attend to.

-

She arrives a minute before the event starts and takes her place in the reserved seating at the front, next to Cheryl, without looking at her.

“You’re late,” Cheryl through gritted teeth so as to not attract the cameras.

“I know,” Toni whispers to her side. “I told you, I’ll explain—“

“There’s no time,” Cheryl shoots back. “Later.”

Toni just nods and settles back into her seat.

The announcer on stage gets their attention. “Welcome, ladies, gentlemen, and all people, to the fourth annual LGBT Fashion Awards!” He waits for applause. “Can I just say, it is truly an honor to be hosting tonight, knowing I’m surrounded by so many talented, beautiful individuals.”

Toni glances to her side, finally looking at Cheryl’s outfit. It takes all her effort not to whistle. “Damn, Topaz,” Toni tells her in a low husk. “That suit is really doing things to me.”

The corners of Cheryl’s lips turn up in a smirk. “Control yourself, Blossom.”

“But enough lead-in. And now, for the first award of the night. this one is going out to the Breakout LGBT Fashion Designer of 2026. We are lucky to have a great number of successful businessmen and women whose designs have been recognized worldwide. This year’s award, however, will be given to one outstanding breakout designer whose work has been notable on many levels. She,” the announcer says, as the crowd murmurs at the reveal of the winner’s gender, “never fails to amaze an audience with sheer brilliance and creativity.”

Toni turns to Cheryl, squeezing her hand. “I know it’s you, babe. I can feel it.”

Cheryl breathes nervously. “Don’t get your hopes up.”

“Without further ado, I would like to announce the winner of this year’s Breakout Designer award—Cheryl Blossom Topaz.” The announcer gestures to the front row as the crowd roars in approval and applause. Cheryl stands in surprise, her ears dulling out the sound of Toni’s congratulations, and makes her way onstage to accept the golden trophy.

~ FLASHBACK TO 5 YEARS AGO ~

“Cheryl, over here!”