⚠️ Rainbow Road ⚠️

“Toni, hey,” Cheryl says, striding up to the girl’s locker as she opens it. “What’s up? You never texted me back last night.”

Toni groans. “I’m really sorry, Cher, I fell asleep without getting back to you. God, I’m just so tired these days with studying and college apps and everything.” She pulls out a few books and closes her locker door.

Cheryl straightens up with a small smile. “Oh, ok, I see. Well, want to go to Pops after school today?”

Toni shrugs. “Sure, why not? I could go for a chocolate milkshake.”

“And I a cherry phosphate,” Cheryl says smugly, leading the girl to class.

-----

“Where on Earth are you going dressed like that, Cheryl?” Penelope spits out, standing in the doorframe of Cheryl’s room.

Cheryl looks herself up and down, not seeing anything wrong with her leather skirt and flannel blouse. “I’m just going to Pops, mother.” She turns toward the mirror again, powdering her nose.

“On a date?” Penelope growls. “God, Cheryl, I don’t know how you haven’t gotten this through your head yet: you’ll never know love. You better not be seeing that abominable Heather again. You know how I feel about--”

“Relax, mother,” Cheryl says, standing up to brush down her skirt and grab her jacket. “I’m just meeting Toni.”

Penelope crosses her arms. “And who is this Tony boy?”

Cheryl opens her mouth to object, but Penelope quickly adds, “never mind. I’m just happy you managed to get over your...phase.” She stands up straighter and walks over to her daughter, putting a hand on her shoulder. “Just like I knew you would. I did it, you did it, my darling girl. I’m so proud of you,” Penelope finishes.

Cheryl blinks. “Toni’s a girl.” She shrugs on her jacket and walks to the door, but her mother slaps a hand across the doorway, blocking her.

“Cheryl!” she says in disgust. “I--”

“Would know who she was if you paid any attention to my life. She’s been my friend for how many years now?” Cheryl raises her voice.

Penelope squints. “Well, I can assure you she does not share the same...deviance as you.”

Cheryl holds back a laugh. “Her outfits consist entirely of flannels, leather, combat boots, and netted tights.”

Penelope curses under her breath. “For Christ’s sake, is anyone correct these days?”

“Your son was. But you and daddy quite literally killed him.” Cheryl tries to leave again but Penelope’s arm acts as a bar.

“Oh, no, Cheryl. You’re not going anywhere with this--Toni girl. You’re grounded.”

Cheryl rolls her eyes as Penelope slams the door shut, locking it from the outside. She sighs, pulling out her phone to text Toni. Bad news, she types. Mommy Dearest won’t let me out of the tower tonight. Have fun at Pops.

The reply comes back within seconds. Are you kidding, Cher? Toni texts. I don’t wanna just go without you.

Cheryl picks up her phone, smiling at the girl’s response. Ten minutes later, Cheryl hears noises outside. At first she thinks it could be just a dumb bird, but after a few more thuds, she pulls up the crimson shades to take a look.