Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Lennonwood Academy in Switzdale, Vermont.

I ran my fingers over the smooth pamphlet surface as my parents loomed over for me, waiting patiently for my reaction. I wasn't going to give them that satisfaction. But they weren't about to cut me any slack.

"Venice, my dear, what do you think?" My mother gave me a trying smile and unsurley laid her right hand on my shoulder.

I tucked a stray hair behind my ear, the greasy texture giving me a tad rush of naesua. I licked my lips, unsure of how to answer.

"We need your input on this, baby doll." My dad joined in, trying to sound persuasive.

I itched my forehead and mumbled nothing in particular under my breath. My parents reacted instantly.

"What was that, dear?" Mother asked, sliding her hand off my skin.

I shrugged. "How is sending me to an academy in Vermont going to help me?" I let my chilling green eyes scan both of my uncomfortable parents. It took about thirty long seconds until I received an answer.

"Getting out of Ohio might help you. You'll get to take a break from your-" My mother paused a moment. "your friends. Maybe you could just put the events from the summer behind you. Make some new, better memories."

I knew she was trying hard for my approval, so I didn't lash out on her about mentioning my so-called friends. I simply nodded to her words and turned to my father.  "I agree with your mother," He stated, as he picked at a hangnail. "you may really like Vermont."

"How is this school getting paid for?" I asked. It was truly the main thing on my mind. My parents didn't need to waste money on me for a school I may end up hating.

Mom bit her lip. "Why are you concerned with that?"

"You don't need to waste money on me." I said, reflecting what my mind was thinking.

I heard my dad chuckle a bit. He looked me in the eye, stubble face and all, and smiled. "You don't have to at so adult, Venny."

"Okay, so can I just get an answer?" I wanted to get straight to the point. No more beating around the bush.

Mom decided to cut in. "Don't worry about the money, Venice. That's not the problem here. The problem is that we are worried about you. We did quite a bit of research on this school. It seems to be a comfortable environment. A new start for you, dear."

"Yes, you've mentioned new start a lot." I replied sarcastically.

My parents grew silent. They had nothing else to say-they had proved their argument. All they needed was for me to choose a side. So the three of us sat in the awkward silence that laced the room. Nether of my parents looked me in the eye and my mind was racing. After a few minutes of self to self deliberation, I cleared my throat. "Alright, I'll go."

The next morning I woke up feeling almost hungover.

It's like I had unsuccessfully tried killing myself by swallowing a fistful of expired pills. My head was swimming, lost in a sea of Lennonwood Academy pamphlet, a school I was leaving for in a week. I stroked my pillow, realizing I would soon be leaving my bedroom and my warm cozy bed for a dorm room that I would be sharing with who knows who.

My head began to pound-an extremely unsettling headache. I groaned and flipped over to the cold side of my pillow. I could see my window from this angle. I could see the light of the morning trying to sneak around my thick shutters. Trying to leak into my room. I began to wonder what time it was, but I was too lazy to check my digital clock that lay on the nightstand beside me. Luckily, not too long after I began to wonder, there was a light knocking on my door. "Sweetheart?" It was my mother.