Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Five o'clock.

Rain came down in sheets from the sky. The world was drenched.

A tap on the shoulder. Gabriel.

I was about to speak, but he put a finger to my lips. "Don't speak," He warned. "you'll wake them."

I looked to my side. Libby and Della were still fast asleep. Quietly, I got up to join Gabriel. "Is Dax here?" I asked, still sleep logged.

Gabriel nodded toward his left. I could see Dax waving impaciently between the trees. I waved to him slightly, but got nothing in return. "He's a little jumpy," Gabriel explained. "let's hope that goes away."

We stepped off to the side, the morning light barely shining down on our faces. "What's the plan?" I whispered.

"We are guessing that the girl," Gabriel began.

"Libby." I corrected.

"Libby, sorry," Gabriel continued. "will do what Della has 'programed' her to do, protect her. And in order to get to Della,"

"You're going to have to kill Libby." I finished for him.

He nodded solemnly. "I'm afraid so."

I looked over at Libby, sweet, young Libby. She had just gotten her life in order...and now it had to be ended. I swallowed. "Alright, what happens after that?"

"Della is un-predictable." Gabriel stated. "We're just going to have to make sure she doesn't leave our sight." Gabriel paused, noticing the bump of my phone in my pocket. "Check the time." He ordered me.

I slid my phone out. "It's 5:31."

Gabriel gently touched my cheek. "You take it from here," He said. "you need to wake them up so we can put this plan in order."

I nodded, understanding. "And that's where you and Dax come in? I don't have to do anything else?"

"That's all you have to do." Gabriel said, planting a soft kiss on my lips. "Thank you for helping me. You don't know how long I've waited for this day to come." He gave me one last smile, and then disappeared to find Dax. I took a deep breath, and then began to start a fire, hoping the sound of crackling flames would awake them. Sure enough, they soon had their eyes open and were joining me around the fire.

"Good morning," I greeted them. Then, as if it was their cue, Dax and Gabriel sprung out of their hiding spots and into the open, faster than lightning. Libby jumped up, and postioned herself in front of Della, hissing and showing her fangs.

Killing her didn't take much effort. Or at least, that's how it appeared. All Dax did was go running up to her, dodge her open mouth, and plunge a stake into her un-armed body. She slumped to the ground, soon disappearing just as Maxwell had.

It was sad to see. I thought I was going to spew out tears any second. But I had to keep myself under control. I stood of to the side, watching the scene that played out before me. Della didn't really try to run off, I think she liked wrestling with Gabriel. Dax was took busy sharpening a new piece of wood to help my boyfriend, but Gabriel seemed to be holding up alright. They weren't dangerously close to each others throats as they had been the night before.

Hours seemed to pass until Gabriel had Della up against a tree. Deja vu washed over me. Della looked like vulureable Eliza had. Della is evil, I told myself, nothing like Eliza. Della almost killed you! Della struggled against Gabriel's firm grip, and Dax tossed him the stake. When Della laid eyes on it, she struggled even more.

"You're seriously going to kill me?" She asked Gabriel, while trying to dodge his fists.

"I"ve wanted to for a long time," Gabriel said.

"We all want you dead." Dax added in. "You've tormented Gabriel, you kill my sister, and you almost killed Venice!"

Upon hearing Dax say my name, Della's eyes were on me. "You liar." She hissed.

I challenged her. "You bitch."

"I really believed you, you know." Della sneered.

"No you didn't." I told her. "You just wanted to."

Della hung her head low. "Yeah. I'm pretty pathetic."

Gabriel looked over at me, as if pleading for me to stop talking. But I couldn't. "You are pathetic." I said, walking closer. "Eliza needed you. Your family needed you. All that stuff I said before about nothing being your fault was a lie. You made a selfish choice that cost your little sister her life and your parents both of their children."

Della looked un-easy. "I know."

I felt tears welling in my eyes, I wasn't sure what emotions I was feeling. I couldn't speak, I couldn't move, I felt like I couldn't breath. Gabriel took advantage of this silent moment, and everything seemed to move in slow motion. His hand, grasping the thick stake of wood, came down upon Della's exposed chest. Vulnerable. It jabbed her-right through the heart. She toppled onto the ground while Gabriel stood above her, his face hard to decipher. I glanced at him, and then to the ground where Della lay, dying.

Seconds before her face grew dark and she was to be lost forever, her eyes found mine. They didn't look fearful or angry, they looked almost at peace. Everything about her eyes felt wrong, so I had to look away. By the time I looked back, she was gone.

And it was over, everything that we had been working for.

The great Della was dead.