Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The bell rang to end class, but I found myself staying. Dax didn't seem surprised. "I had to tell you." He said, coming out from behind his desk. "I couldn't keep you in the dark like that."

I re-folded the note and slid it in my jean pocket. "How long has this been going on?"

"Since I was a boy." Dax told me. "It's been going on in my family since...forever."

"You know about Gabriel." It wasn't a question I was asking him, it was a statement.

"Yeah, I do. But I have no interest in killing him."

I was surprised. "The vampire hunter who is in love with me doesn't want to kill my boyfriend?"

"Well that wouldn't really help me win you, would it?" Dax challenged. "It was just make you all depressed again."

"That's true." I agreed. "But you are planning on killing a vampire, right?"

"Duh." Dax said with a click of his tongue. "I'm planning on killing your room mate."

"Really?"

"I'm sure Gabriel has told you his reasons for wanting her dead, but I have my own." Dax explained.

"And those reasons are?" I asked.

"Della killed my little sister a few years ago. I watched her sink her filthy vampire fangs into her neck and drain all the blood out of her. I didn't get to her in time, and she got away, leaving my sister's lifeless body behind." Dax looked like he was on the verge of tears.

"Dax..." I said soothingly. "I'm so sorry." I walked toward him and placed my hand on top of his.

"Don't be sorry." Dax shooed. "This is just one killing I'm taking quite personally."

Suddenly, an idea popped into my mind. "You know what?"

"What?"

"You and Gabriel should team up!" I felt like a little kid shouting out an idea during brainstorming time, but I couldn't help it. "It shouldn't be a problem, since you don't really want to kill him."

Dax sighed. "I don't know, Venice..."

"Come on! Do it for me." I had played a sensitive card there, but it had to be done.

"Alright, I'll do it."

"You have to admit...it's a pretty good idea." I told Gabriel after explaining to him what I had told Dax.

"Question:" Gabriel said. "why did Dax give you a note saying that he was a vampire hunter?"

I knew I would have to tell Gabriel about Dax and I sometime. "I, uh, dated Dax last year and he never really got over me."

Gabriel raised his eyebrows. "You dated him? I thought you said that he was your student teacher!"

"He was." I said. "We were dating in secret. He even got me pregnant." I immediately regretted telling him the last part.

"What?!"

"I got an abortion." I assured him. "Anyway, we are getting off subject here. Do you like the idea or not?"

Gabriel began fidgeting with his fingers, but he had calmed down. "It's not a terrible idea." He began to smile. "I don't want to have to fight for you, though."

"You don't have to fight," I told him. "because you've already won." And with that, I leaned in for a kiss.