The Battle of Baleine (PART I)

Despite your confidence in the people of Baleine, you expected there to be some outrage at your unintended assassination.

And "unintended" it truly was. Killing Sabyr was not apart of your initial itinerary. You originally planned to force some information out of her with blunt trauma, but killing her (especially in such a vicious manner) hadn't exactly crossed your mind. Not seriously. Not with meditation.

The revelations she had so valiantly exposed stirred a rage within you. It was a hot, white anger and it caused you to act impulsively. But do you regret this choice? Nay. Sabyr had what was coming to her and you'd fantasied about doing it ever since you saw the budget for her wardrobe.

Sabyr was a politician just like you, but she was the kind that faked a sense of honor. You, on the other hand, remained translucent to all the complicated dexterities of human tragedy. Hidden visages sometimes proved worthy, but for the most part, one in power must never underestimate the intelligence of the people. This was something your father had drilled into you.

Still...there was nothing wrong with a few dramatics.

She had torn your spirit to shreds and damaged your psyche in a way that hadn't been since the "death" of your emotionally inept mother. In some twisted way, however, you suppose you owe her a debt of gratitude. How could you know about your mother's escape (or whatever it was) if it weren't for her cowardice and betrayal - at least she proved worthy of something.

You land upon Baleine's countryside; a calculated decision you'd made when you realized that sympathizers of the Resistance were everywhere - even in Baleine, which was an idea made difficult for even you to stomach. Tyth, Sabyr, Holdo...they definitely had supporters weaving their ways into crowds and making friends with your people. They might even have soldiers right under your nose.

The idea causes you to clench your muscles and grip the levies of the Ichor.

BB chirps and it sounds as though he's perplexed. You've picked up on some of the language, but Basic Droid was a lot more difficult than what you'd expected - eighty percent of the time, his babbling was more or less a mystery. But the way he continues to lean away from the steel canister is pellucid enough.

"Commander." A voice sparks over the intercom and brings you to life. You jolt, eyes peeling off the durasteel box, and lean into the console.

You go to correct him but stop yourself - commander is the proper title. Commander. You hadn't been called such in years. It sounds sweet and you trill your tongue silently to try it out. Commander. The rank was only to be used in war. It hits you then that this is, indeed, a battle.

"Lieutenant," you sound back.

There's a bit of muffling before he finally says very clearly, "We have reason to believe that the Resistance have placed guns along the border of the capital."

Shit.

You hesitate, leaning into the comm. "Do not strike unless I give you the command. Can we get confirmation on these supposed guns?"

"I'll dispatch a squad," Ika replies. "Secretly, of course."

"Very good," you say.

The comm goes silent.

BB nudges your leg and chirps, his body lolling away from the steel container. You sigh, slowly petting his head, and awaiting for confirmation on the guns.

"BB, get me General Hux," you demand, caressing the durasteel of his head one last time.

The droid wiggles slightly before static ricochets off the walls of the ship. You cringe a little by the feedback, but it immediately stops when the general's visage illuminates with a blue hue before you.

"General Hux." You lift your chin just slightly, awaiting the scolding.

Hux seems to gather himself into a professional manner, his lips twisting into a mechanic and nonchalant expression.

"Ambassador."

There's a thick silence in the air. You go to speak, mouth opening before Hux raises his fist and growls:

"You killed her." All professionalism has vanished.

It sparks a bit of selflessness in you; how very unexpected. As much as you hated Sabyr, you'd found yourself rather fond of the general as of late. To hear these words fall off his tongue with such rawness was...disappointing.

You tread lightly, feeling apprehensive of the effect this had on him. Still, had you been able to do it all over again, you'd still take her head - maybe even with your own hands.

"Yes," you decide to say.

Hux purses his lips. "Captain Phasma will be arriving to Baleine within the hour."

You nod slightly. "Good."

"-and I'll be there within the next cycle."

Another flippant nod from you. "Alright."

The two of you don't speak for what seems like years. BB shifts uncomfortably at your side, more than likely sensing the tension - Hux's vision shivers as a result.

"Goodbye, ambassador."