Metanoia

Nyx is a young woman, like you, but she carries the burdensome weight of ancient wisdom. She is, in all truthfulness, an old soul. Like a legend of some kind, Nyx's presence is nothing short of magical. And though her knowledge is something to behold, she's frightfully shy and petite with yellow hair that travels to her shoulders. In her kind, doe eyes is a constant reminder that there is still humanity upon this Starkiller sequel base.

She's also an excellent seamstress.

"Why doesn't he have synth-skin?" she asks you, pins bobbing between two rosy lips. She's tending to your gown. Nyx is a perfectionist and you're not very tall, so your patience wears thin after the first hour.

You reflect on her question and decide that you can't answer it. "There is a reason for it, but that's all I can say. I'm not even sure he's aware I know." In the three way mirror you watch your shoulders sway with your slow breathing.

After the tragedy on Starkiller base, Kylo Ren amputated his own arm.

No one had any idea why he did it. The arm was unharmed besides the regulatory wounds from any saber fight. It could have healed nicely; he wouldn't have even needed synth skin at all. But the first night in the medbay, Kylo struck his arm. The doctors and medical droids panicked at the sight, afraid that they might be responsible for the death of their commander. Thankfully, the blade cauterized his limb and there was no blood.

No one had understood his reason for doing it - except you.

Nyx nods but then says, "I assumed there was reason. After all, who cuts off a perfectly good arm?"

If Nyx were anyone else, you would have demanded them to leave your quarters and relieve them of their duties - immediately. But Nyx has been with you ever since you served as ambassador back home. Besides, her question was far from allusive.

You ignore what she had said and decide to comment on her work.

"It's beautiful," you tell her. She smiles in the mirror. "I'm sorry for asking you to do this on such a short notice."

Nyx shakes her head. "Now that I'm only a few hallways away I'm more than willing."

Oh, gods. You were thankful for that, too. Since the First Order had settled on a permanent resident, Nyx was able to travel from home and stay here with you. One of your requests when your union with Kylo was made was to bring a handmaiden with you. You had become accustomed to being waited on and you needed the help. Back home there were four handmaidens: Mathilde, Zelda, Nyx, and Orx.

The three of them were perfectly acceptable - you'd even go as far to say that they were the greatest handmaidens any public official could ever have. But your relationship with Nyx had blossomed into something more than a professional relationship. The two of you became inseparable. So inseparable, actually, that your two months traveling aboard the Finalizer without her had triggered a depression. Suddenly, it felt like an entirely different galaxy. Nyx was your last piece of home and, without her anchor, you felt like a completely different person.

Kylo had noticed this and even mentioned her once or twice. When you told him that she wasn't comfortable with the idea of space travel (and who could blame her?) he seemed...scuttled. It was as though he couldn't possibly wrap his head around the idea of such an attachment.

When Nyx is finished she stands and wipes her hands on her dress. "I did a great job...if I do say so myself." She allows a proud grin.

You nod, twisting in the mirror to show off to an invisible audience. The gown is your typical uniform when you're 'on location' (which is the command center, but you like to refer to it as such). The planet of Yanni is relatively warm. Therefore, in lieu of the structured, asymmetrical clothing you wore on the Finalizer (space is rather cold) you asked for relaxed, silk gowns without shape. You were more lenient with color, much to Kylo and Snoke's demise. They wish you had a darker sense of fashion, especially considering your rank in the First Order. And though you did follow that rule while traveling aboard the Finalizer, you wouldn't be seen on Yanni's base as much. You opted for reds, whites, and greens now.