In The Lake

YOUMIN

Mom would be furious.

But with Jimin in Daegu hospital and family money running low, I had to take his place. There was just no way my brother could train in one of the most elite units of the Korean military, with his asthma.

There was no way I'd let that happen.

But now he's looking at me with paled eyes, the blood completely drained from his face.

"Noona..."

"You did what?"

"I told you." I say, passing him his inhaler. "I'm leaving tomorrow. I just wanted you to know— I can't tell mom, Jimin. You know that."

His breaths start getting faster.

"No, no. You shouldn't have— you shouldn't have done that. How are you going to—"

"Hey."

I pat at his back, reminding him to breathe. "It's going to be okay. This is better."

Jimin swallows.

"No, no it isn't. How are you going to—you'll have to go by my name. And it's going to be so hard! Besides..."

He grips a handful of my waist-length hair.

"Noona, this..."

"I'll have to cut it short." I shrug, making my voice light. "But it'll be so much easier to shower, huh?"

Jimin looks like he's about to cry.

"It's my fault. I don't want you to go, Noona. It's because of me, isn't it? It's because of my asthma."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"Wait, what— it's not your fault." My voice rises a little bit, and he looks up with his cheeks flushed red. "We could've cancelled your position. It's my choice."

Jimin turns away.

"Noona, I applied because they give a lot of money. But I don't want you to do this for me."

"What if you get caught?"

"So I won't." I smile, ruffling his hair. "I'll make sure not to get caught. Just be good to mom— I mean, you're already plenty good, but you know what I'm saying."

My expression softens when I see his bottom lip tremble.

"Jimin, don't cry."

"I'm not." He says forcefully, swiping at his eyes. "It's just dust, that's all. Just dust."

When he looks away and keeps rubbing at his eyes, I let my cheeky grin fall away into a sad expression.

I'd miss him the most.

_________________________

A day later

I ignore the curious stares.

Even though I'd cut my waist-length hair completely short and had made sure with the chest bandages, I wasn't male.

I stood out.

"Damn." The man smirks when I finally go up to him to receive my military supplies. "We'll get that pale skin tan in no time."