Disobedience

YOUMIN

He instantly jerks me up from the gun, nearly throwing me out of the range of the window.

And then I hear something that scares the crap out of me.

Rapid footsteps coming up the stairs.

V hears it, too. He's talking into his communicator, but the connection's somehow broken. I can barely hear the voice on the other side, let alone understand.

He curses.

My hands are shaking when he presses a pistol in my palm.

"There's more than three. Defend yourself if you have to."

The footsteps get closer.

"W-What about the sniper?"

He bites his lip. "I don't know. This needs to be taken care of first."

But he'd told me before.

He'd told me that if enemy snipers weren't countered fast, they could screw up the entire team.

"Jimin, listen."

He somehow looks calm in this entire situation. But I probably look like I'm having a breakdown, and his grip tightens on my shoulders.

"Stay here. Don't make any noise."

"If someone comes in, kill them. Understand?"

"I-I understand."

And with that, he leaves me.

I'm left alone in the corner of the room, with the sniper gun in front of me and my heart crashing into my chest.

Counter sniper.

What do I do?

I curl up against the walls when I hear yells and sounds of fighting. I had to go help. But he'd told me to stay.

Would I even be any help if I went?

Trembling violently, I just hug the handgun he'd given me to my chest.

I should do something. Anything— to help. Anything. Just do anything.

Shaking, I drop to the floor and slowly edge back up to the sniper gun.

Maybe I could just figure out his location. The other sniper. And I could tell V when he came back safe.

I look into the scope.

And I see him.

His head is a dark circle behind the glint of his gun, pointed in my direction. I didn't think he'd noticed me yet, since I was keeping so low.

Gunshots ring out from the floor right below mine.

He's right there, though.

Think of it as training. Think that it's just another wooden target.

Slowly, I shift the huge gun. I think of the trajectory in my mind, planning out the curve of the bullet.

No, no. He told you to not make any noise. He told you to keep low and stay in the corner.

But I can do this.

Carefully, I put my finger on the cold trigger.

And I shoot.