XXII | Loch Ness Monster

"FUCK YOU."

"Fine, but at least take me out on a date first," I say. And then clap a hand over my mouth.

Angel just smacked her head on the hotel door and was cursing at it. I can't believe I said that. I can't believe I just said that.

Angel swivels back to me so fast I swear she moves at the speed of light. Her dark eyes are lit with the fluorescent glow of the flickering hotel lights, and there is something almost primal in them, carnal, that has me taking a step back.

Like she really will fuck me right then and there.

And honestly, I don't think I would object.

Instead she turns around and fits the key into the lock before thrusting the door open. Because there are only five of us, it was Alessandro, Marie and Dominic in one room. Me and Angel in the other.

As soon as we arrived in Inverness, we took the first bus to some cheap hotel on the outskirts of the city. Angel said we couldn't draw attention with wealth, not now that we knew the Genoveses were prepared to ambush us.

"Shit," Angel mutters.

"What is it?" I say, following her into the room.

Surprised, I blink.

There is a long, tense silence.

"Weren't there supposed to be . . . two beds?"

Angel scowls. "Yes."

"Relax," I say. Why does she seem so irritated? It's not like we haven't shared a bed before. Last night. "I can sleep in the bathtub."

She gives me a scorching look. "Don't even think about it."

Without another word, she stalks into the room and dumps our duffel bags onto the floor. It's almost eleven at night, and I'm tired enough to collapse onto the bed right then and there. But it's freezing in this hotel room.

I ruffle through the closet for some blankets and toss them onto the bed.

After sitting down on the edge of the comforter, I glance over at Angel. Her dark hair is pulled up high into a bun, revealing her long, elegant neck and the sharp curve of her jaw. I want to trail my fingers over that smooth edge, brush a kiss along it.

Except she seems furious.

"What's wrong?" I say. "I mean, if you'd prefer Dominic in your bed . . . I never said we can't take turns."

She levels a glare at me.

"Really," I keep going, "I don't want to be selfish or anything. We can rotate, like a schedule. Whatever keeps you happy."

This seems to make her even more mad, but I can't help teasing her.

Finally, she cracks a little grin. "God, Cade. Go to bed. You look so tired."

I burrow into the covers, nesting my head on the pillow. "So bossy. How about you rest? What if I'm not tired?"

Before she goes into the bathroom, I see her roll her eyes.

All I hear as I sink into sleep is a little chuckle and the words, "Not tired, my ass."

ANGEL PACES AROUND THE ROOM, strands of her black hair coming undone from the bun atop her head. There is something wild in her eyes, visible by the half-light coming from the bathroom.

She seems to be worrying, thinking about something. I don't know what.

My eyes slide to the alarm clock at the stand. 3:46 a.m. Blearily, I blink at her, but she doesn't seem to realize I'm awake.

Has she even slept?

"Angel?" I whisper. Her frantic pacing doesn't slow. "Angel?" Louder.

Her head jerks towards me as I sit up in bed. "Cade . . ." she says softly. She looks almost guilty. "What are you doing up?"

"I'd rather be the one to ask that question."

"I just couldn't sleep."

I pat the side of the bed that is empty, cold. "Come and lay down. Just rest. It's better than nothing."

Hesitantly, she makes her way to the bed and sits. I can tell she's tense. Half blurry with sleep, I pull the bedcovers up over her. She gives off warmth, energy, and until now, I didn't even realize how cold I was.

"Come on," I say vaguely, already starting to drift. "Rest a little."

Her tense body relaxes under my touch. I can feel her hot skin, vivid and pulsing, and I want to be close to her. Closer.

Before I know it, I am already asleep.

>>

I wanted to give you guys a little peek into Angel. The next chapter will be in Angel's POV to show you exactly what she's thinking.

I know this chapter was a little short, but I thought it was necessary to show you how Cade is feeling. And to also give you a little insight into Angel. I won't say too much about that, though.

To the moon and back,
Sarai