XL | Halo

This chapter is going to show you Angel's conflict. Time's running out.

ANGEL

IT IS ELEVEN O'CLOCK.

I have one hour to deliver the girl I love into the Grim Reaper's arms.

Dominic is the only one who knows, who is aware of the bargain I struck with John Mazzoli. Still, even as my heart races, I can't help wondering what it is the most powerful man in the city wants with Cade.

I glance behind me, noticing the way her chin-length blonde hair whips around her face. Her eyes are smoky and dark, sultry, as we hurtle through the streets of Sicily, and her mouth looks soft and kissable.

Is this all the time I have left with her? This last hour?

I roar the engine, and the motorcycle goes flying faster, faster―the air is chill and swirling, and this feels so good, so right, like I was always meant to be with Cade, like we were always supposed to be together.

But dark thoughts cloud my mind as we come to a stop. How can I be with her when I'm the leader of the Mafia? I have a duty to the Falcones, and Cade . . . as much as I love her, she's a distraction. And besides, as long as she's with me, she'd be a target.

I grab Cade's waist with both hands and swing her off the seat. Her dress swishes like a ripple of night air.

She leans forward and kisses me. Her hands slide over my neck, my back, against my chest. I have to force myself to lean back, out of her grip.

I tuck a strand of her soft hair behind her ear. "Come," I say, taking her by the hand.

"Where'd you bring us?"

"Wait and find out," I say. I already gave her a hint―when I whispered into her ear something very, very dirty.

I take her into a club that pulses with light and heat and writhing people. Unlike the ball, we are overdressed here―everyone wears scraps of silk and leather, and nothing is left to the imagination.

Cade holds my hand tightly as I take her into the back, the VIP part of the club. Here, people are wearing nothing, and they fuck openly in rooms with curtains. Sweat and heat perfume the air, and it's somehow steamy in the hallway.

There is a woman being ruthlessly pounded by a man with a serpent tattoo in one room. They didn't bother closing the curtain, and I can see the woman's calves flexing as she rocks against him. In another room, two women suck at each other's breasts while a man grips himself, watching.

I observe Cade, and although I didn't know what I was expecting, the open look of lust on her face surprises me. She watches with wonder, the violet lights of the club glistening on her features.

Under the dark glow of the hallway, surrounded by the sounds of moaning and whimpering and music, Cade looks like a goddess―dark, beautiful, mysterious. It seems there is an edge to her, sharp as a knife as she says, "Are we getting a room?"

"Do you want one?"

Cade nods and licks her lips, her hand on mine fierce. I know the feeling―we might have just had sex less than half an hour ago, but she needs it badly again.

My girl has needs, and I'm ready to satisfy them.

Of course, this wasn't a part of my plan, but we can get to that after.