LVII | Selfish

THE FIRST THING I THINK IS, IT'S NOT ANGEL.

Thank God it's not Angel.

And then I realize: It's not Angel.

I rush to her side, dropping to the ground beside her. Dominic's lifeless eyes stare up into empty blank space. Angel cries, and I've never seen her cry before, not since this night on the rooftop. But this is worse, this is so much worse.

A tear slips out of my eye. Dominic was a good guy, even if we didn't always get along. He tried to save my life, and I never told him . . . I never told him I appreciated that. I never got to say thank you.

I pull Angel into my arms and cries into my chest, so forcefully I am worried she's going to dissolve. This is what grief looks like; this is what anguish looks like.

And I understand.

Dominic was Angel's only family, ever since her parents died. They were best friends since they were children. For her, this is too painful to be real.

I hold her tight as she breaks, as she collapses.

I don't say a word to her as she lets it out, because I know. "It's okay" and "It'll all be fine" are meaningless. Empty. The best thing I can do for her is be here for her, to hold her. To let her know I love her, that she is loved, that she does not have to do this alone.

Somewhere in the distance, I hear a car door slam. Cassian starts his engine and backs out, driving away. A coward, I think.

But I don't go after him.

He can hide under his daddy's wing, but when Angel is ready, I'll be by her side. Cassian will pay for this. I will never forgive this.

For now, Angel cries, her tears soaking into my dress, and I kiss the top of her head.

>>>

Hey, hope you liked this one.

Sorry, I'm a little bit emotionally damaged right now to say anything meaningful.

I love you.

From the moon and back,
Sarai