30 | it was a pretty good bad idea, wasn't it though?

xxx.

it was a pretty good bad idea, wasn't it though?

(Bad Idea by Sara Bareilles feat. Jason Mraz)

__________

July 19, 1978

I've procured my cousin's hair and have stolen a dress. Will you tell me what your plan is now?

I'll meet you at the alley behind Flourish and Blotts at 9 am.

R.A.B.

Hermione smiled, imagining how Regulus might already be going ballistic at her deliberate vagueness. She hoped he understood they should keep their conversation about the horcrux hunt to a minimum. During her other timeline, there had been numerous cases of intercepted letters by both the ministry and Death Eaters. Hermione was afraid that the same might happen this time, seeing as they were steadily approaching the height of the war.

She grabbed a spare parchment and her turkey quill to pen her reply to Regulus.

I'll tell you everything tomorrow. I promise.

Don't worry; everything's going according to plan.

I'll be there at 9 am. Don't think about this too much tonight. We need all the rest we can get.

H.P.

Hermione tied the letter to Mercury and watched him fly out of her window, hoping for the best.

-ooo-

Although Hermione specifically told Regulus not to worry too much about their excursion tomorrow, the brunette found herself fidgety with nerves all throughout the day. Peter and Anya blessedly mistook her fretting for James' arrival later that night, and had merely exchanged amused glances between themselves and not asked any questions.

Hermione couldn't help but remember their disastrous attempt to break into Gringotts last time and how they were almost caught. If it hadn't have been for the chained dragon, who had abhorred the goblins for years and years of abuse, they might have been captured by Death Eaters and killed right there and then.

She firmly believed that her plan would go smoothly this time, especially because she was going to be accompanied by the Black heir. Still, Hermione couldn't dispel away the nervousness she was feeling.

By three in the afternoon that day, Hermione started to prepare for James' arrival, just so she could distract herself. Anya insisted on choosing Hermione's dress that night, reasoning that she wanted to help her daughter dress up for important moments in her life. Apparently, inviting her boyfriend over to have dinner with the Pettigrew family was deemed important.

Her mother laid down a sleeveless, maroon, floral Gunne sax sundress with a heart-shaped neckline. It was too ribbon-y for Hermione's liking, but she knew she had no choice unless she wanted to face Anya's ire.

Sighing, she removed her current clothes and donned the dress. She had a hard time tying the ribbons on both straps of her dress, to ensure they were secure enough. She tied the other ribbon around her waist, her defining curves starting to develop now that she was turning seventeen soon.

Hermione tentatively walked towards her full-length mirror, dreading what she'd see. 1970's fashion had either been a hit or miss for Hermione, most of which was usually deemed as a resounding 'miss', but so far, her mother had good taste when it came to choosing her daughter's clothes.