54 | salvation is coming in the morning

xxxxxiv.

salvation is coming in the morning

(Saint Honesty by Sara Bareilles)

__________

August 6, 1981

"No."

"James—"

"I said, no, Hermione!"

Rage and fear swirled inside his chest. His mind was already a jumbled mess from everything Hermione had told him, but he still could not fully grasp why she was willing to sacrifice their family's safety just so they could defeat Voldemort. It didn't help his confusion and anger when he found out that she'd sneaked out of their house a few nights ago just to meet Dumbledore and tell him her plan.

Ire flared in his heart as he took a deep, shuddering breath just so he wouldn't blow his top off. Judging from Hermione's blue eyes, he knew that she understood his reaction right now but still, he didn't want to spout ridiculous things fuelled by irrational anger and fear he may later regret.

A few hours ago, Albus Dumbledore had dropped by their house. James was obviously surprised because they'd been contacting the Order leader for ages, but he'd never given them any proper reply. Dumbledore's presence and Hermione's distracted behaviour the entire morning, meant James had landed on a conclusion he knew he would never like.

Dumbledore allowed Hermione to tell James what her plan was. The Headmaster merely stayed silent, his blue eyes never leaving James' form. He didn't even flinch when James loudly refused, as though he was expecting he'd be disapproving of Hermione's plan.

"And you agreed to all of this... this madness?" he cried, wildly gesturing at Hermione.

It irritated him immensely how the old wizard continued to look serene despite facing a thunderous wizard. But then again, he was hailed as the greatest wizard of all time. No wonder he was the only person Voldemort truly feared. "It is a brilliant plan, if I may say so myself," he calmly answered.

James took that as a cue to stalk out of their living room, stomping towards their bedroom and slamming the door shut. A few moments passed when he heard their door creak open, his wife silently slipping inside. James wished that he was able to hold Harry right now, because at least his son gave him some semblance of peace and comfort during this difficult time.

"I'm... I'm going to see if Harry's awake," he stiffly said, already stalking towards the door, but Hermione was faster. She'd blocked his exit, a resolute glint in her eyes despite how they were swimming with tears.

"Harry's fine," she croaked. "Dumbledore volunteered to look after him until we've settled this."

"There's nothing to settle!" he thundered, hazel eyes dangerously flashing as he curled his hands into tight fists. "I've already told you what my answer is, Hermione. And no, no you cannot change my mind!"

He was breathing heavily, different worst case scenarios flashing through his mind. "Why—" He thickly swallowed as desperation seeped through his angry mask. "We're safe here, Hermione. Our family is complete. No one will die if we continue to stay here. Why do you want to disturb that peace? Think of Harry!"

"I am thinking of Harry!" she hotly retorted in return, her tears steadily pouring down from her face. "Everything I've been doing, all the decisions I've made in this second life, all of them were for Harry!"

"And you think this plan of yours will be for Harry?" he harshly spat. "What happened to the promise we made that we'd live through this bloody fucking war just so our son – our son, goddamn it – will have two, very alive parents?"