44 | the story needs some mending and a better happy ending

xxxxiv.

the story needs some mending and a better happy ending

(Fairytale by Sara Bareilles)

__________

September 29, 1979

A week ago, Professor Dumbledore sent her a letter saying he was already planning to send her on a mission to retrieve the last horcrux. A day before, he sent a series of instructions detailing her excursion. The only problem Hermione had, was identifying what excuse she would make so that her mother wouldn't get suspicious.

She was hoping Anya wouldn't be lounging in the living room watching her favourite drama show, as arriving at the Potter Manor through Floo would be easier, but once she walked out of her bedroom, Hermione heard the unmistakable lovely laugh of her mother and garbled conversation from the television.

Anya's eyes met Hermione's, her lips now faltering upon noticing her clothes. "Going somewhere, love?" she asked.

"Err..." Hermione nervously shifted on her feet and looked away. "I was thinking of trying to apply for a job at the ministry today."

There was a beat of silence after Hermione said her lie.

"On a Saturday?"

Hermione mentally cursed and sheepishly met her mother's eyes. Anya's eyebrows had flown up to her hairline and the brunette tried to come up with another lie. But Anya calmly turned off the television and stood up from the couch.

"Something's going on, isn't it?" she said, making it sound more like a statement than a question. When Hermione didn't answer her question, Anya sighed and tentatively approached her. "You know that you can tell me anything, right, sweetheart?"

"I know, Mum," Hermione murmured, her face crumpling at the worry and distress on Anya's face.

Anya closed the remaining distance between them and clasped her hand. "You can tell me, Hermione," she insisted. "I'm your mother. Whatever you're doing right now, it may be something I do not understand, but I'll try. Because I'm your mother."

"Oh, Mum." She threw her arms around Anya's shoulders and squeezed her tight. "I can't. It's—there are a lot of things I want to tell you and I don't even know where to start."

Now that the Marauders and her best friends, even Dumbledore and some of the leaders of the Order, knew about Hermione's past, there was a part of her that felt like she was betraying Anya for withholding such information from her. She had been a huge part of Hermione Pettigrew's life and Hermione couldn't shake off this niggling voice in the back of her mind that kept on insisting that Anya deserved to know, above all else.

But Hermione was afraid how her mother would take it. She was even more afraid that she'd forbid her from joining the Order and actively involving herself in the resistance. Hermione knew she wouldn't listen to her mother no matter how much she loved her, and she didn't want their relationship to be strained because of this.

So, Hermione pushed that voice back until it was silent once more. One day, she was sure she would tell Anya. But not today.

Anya slightly pulled away from Hermione, her blue eyes glittering with worry and unshed tears. "All right," she said with a disappointed frown. "But I will always be here for you, Hermione. Please always be careful, okay? Peter's job as an Auror already drives me on edge. I want my daughter to be safe too."

Hermione flashed her a small, sad smile and hugged her again. "I'm sorry, Mum," she whispered, tears welling in her eyes when she felt Anya place a kiss on her temple.