33 | i'm not going anywhere, love

xxxiii.

i'm not going anywhere, love

(Song for a Soldier by Sara Bareilles)

__________

December 20, 1978

Hermione smiled when Regulus backpedalled upon entering the Room of Requirement.

"We're not going to practice today?" he asked, tentatively striding towards the armchair opposite to where Hermione was sitting. When Hermione shook her head, his lips curled in disdain. "I take it this is an exact replica of the Gryffindor Common Room?"

Her smile widened when he grimaced at how squashy his armchair was. "Hermione Granger's Gryffindor Common Room, yes," she said, abandoning any proper decorum to sling both of her legs across the armrest of her chosen chair. "It's cosier than the 1970's common room, if you must know."

Regulus grumbled something unintelligible under his breath, looking marvellously uncomfortable surrounded by Gryffindor red and gold, with littered overstuffed chairs and a roaring fire inside a small hearth. It wasn't an exact replica per se, because as what Hermione had confessed to Regulus weeks ago, she was starting to forget some minute memories of Hermione Granger. The Ravenclaw wasn't sure if the colours of the armchairs were the exact shades of red-orange, or if the huge, proud lion was placed on the east or west side of the common room. Nevertheless, the room provided by the Come-and-Go Room evoked feelings Hermione Granger had felt every time she had entered her common room, and that was enough for the brunette.

"Why aren't we duelling today?" he asked.

"Because it's the last day before the holidays," she exclaimed, before a lazy yawn escaped from her lips. Hermione rubbed her itchy eyes and got more comfortable on the couch, her eyelids already fluttering closed as the crackling fire lulled her into a peaceful rest.

"Didn't sleep well last night?"

She popped one eye open and sheepishly smiled at Regulus. "I slept like a baby," she corrected, "but I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning. My roommates and I lost track of time last night and managed to finish the fifth-year coverage of Potions all in one sitting."

"You and your friends are barmy," Regulus said with a snort. "I'm glad I'm not studying with you this year."

"Ah, so Crouch and Rosier are more decent study buddies than me?" she asked, fully opening her eyes as she shot a teasing smirk his way.

Regulus made a face. "I'd rather study with the Giant Squid, to be honest," he grumbled, prompting Hermione to laugh. A soft yawn then burst out of her lips once more.

"Maybe you should just rest today, Pettigrew," the Black heir pointed out. "I don't even know why you even asked me to meet you today."

Hermione shook off her tiredness and rummaged inside her pocket. She pulled out her crumpled list of horcruxes, with numbers one and two already crossed out. "We need to discuss this first before we leave Hogwarts," she insisted. She deliberately shifted on her armchair once more to sit up properly.

"I told you procuring the diary isn't going to be a problem," he reassured. "I'm already expected to attend the Malfoy Ball on Christmas Eve, and I will take the finest firewhiskey from Ogden's and goad the slimy Malfoy to drink as much as he can, until he's too piss drunk to even notice I've borrowed his signet ring to open his bloody secret room. It'll be fine."

"Your confidence makes me nervous, blimey," Hermione said as the corner of her lips lifted into a bemused smile. "This is Malfoy Manor we are talking about, Regulus."