45 | you're the universe i'm helpless in

xxxxv.

you're the universe i'm helpless in

(Venus by Sleeping at Last)

__________

October 10, 1979

Anya politely excused herself and left the two wizards alone.

James threw a terrified glance at her retreating back, before hesitantly glancing at Peter. He had his back turned away from him, that ridiculous worn apron the Pettigrews loved to wear so much tied around his waist. Peter hadn't said a word ever since his confession and instead, had focused all of his might on washing the dishes. From the way he was handling the plates, however, James knew he would drop one soon.

He allowed the uncomfortable silence to stretch out long and tense. James wasn't sure if he was permitted to break it. One thing he'd learned after being best mates with Peter was that he should steer clear from him when he was in one of his foul moods. He might not resort to Bat-Bogey Hexes like his sister, but Peter still had the infamous Selwyn temper. His glares were enough to scare anyone away.

But, he'd been mulling over this for weeks. Hell, months even! After everything that had happened, especially with Hermione's revelation, his resolve had grown stronger and stronger each day, until he'd had no choice but to act on it. Dumbledore had been ominously warning them that they were already at the height of war and must prepare for the worse. Hermione's last horcrux hunt was his wake-up call and James had owled Peter and Anya asking to talk. He didn't have any hesitations anymore.

"Peter," James called, steeling whatever Gryffindor courage he had. "Come on, mate. Say something."

His hazel eyes grew wide behind his glasses when Peter shoved the fragile plate onto the rack, ignoring completely how it shattered with the impact. Times like this, he wished Peter wasn't related to two terrifying witches. He really liked Peter the most when he just agreed to everything he said.

"What do you want me to bloody say?" Peter grumbled, his back still facing away from James. His shoulders were tense and James could see that a vein had popped on one of his temples. His Auror-trained reflexes heightened in alarm and although he highly doubted Peter would resort to hexing him, James still pulled out his wand underneath the table in case he needed to defend himself.

"Your mother already gave her blessing," he deliberately started. "So, I guess voicing out your blessing too will suffice."

"Why?"

James furrowed his brows when Peter whipped around fast. His face looked pinched, a mixture of anger and pained resignation etched on his pale face. James sighed, "Why what?"

"Why now?" Peter added, angrily whipping his wand from his trousers. James instinctively raised his wand, ready for combat, but Peter merely slashed his wand to Reparo the broken plate. The sandy-haired wizard warily eyed James' wand, and the Potter heir reluctantly lowered his hand.

"Why not now?" James replied, trying to lighten up the tense atmosphere with his ridiculous quip. But Peter's eyes had turned into thinner slits, obviously unimpressed by his joke.

Knowing that Peter wouldn't budge, James expelled a soft sigh and seriously looked at this wizard, who he considered his brother in everything but blood. "Because, we are at war," he simply explained. "And as much as we don't like it, Hermione's the most involved in all this bloody shite because of her past and her knowledge and—" He thickly swallowed as fear gripped his heart once more. He'd been accustomed to this feeling ever since they'd Apparated into his bedroom in the middle of the night, dripping wet and obviously shaken. Still, try as he might, he couldn't dispel his fear. "The future is uncertain, Wormy."