Interview with doxthefox1

Interview with doxthefox1

Author of SPRITES: Legacy of the Black Phoenix, first place Fantasy

What inspired you to write SPRITES, and how did you shape the world and create its characters?

I always had a strong affiliation for heroic based animes and RPG type video games with a strong affiliation to magic. During my college years I would spend a lot of time walking around campus envisioning a world with me and my close friends. After several years of planning out this world and the people in it I finally found the courage to sit down and put it on paper after watching the movie, Harry Potter and the Half-Blooded Prince. With time, the world I envisioned evolved along with the characters into something truly unique.

What was the hardest part of the story to write and why? How did you overcome it?

I was never taught the basics or rules of creative writing so I let my thoughts come naturally and just wrote them down. My style is unique in that I envision the sequences of events out of order. Oftentimes, I would start writing either the middle or end of an event and then work my way backwards or forwards to fill the gaps. This method resulted in severe cases of writer's block. There have been times where I've stared at a computer screen for hours and not written a single word. It was especially frustrating because when I started writing I was a perfectionist in wanting to keep my work to myself until I finished my first major draft. It was a very lonely path, but I just kept plugging away at it, letting my mind wander naturally until I was satisfied with the end result. The thought of finally being able to pull it all together like pieces of a puzzle was the main driving factor in keeping me going.

Do you have any advice you'd like to share for writers in the fantasy genre?

To all the writers in the fantasy genre I'd say start by envisioning a world with characters that you truly love. That love will turn into an obsession for writing that can carry you through the rough times. Also, don't be afraid to share your work with others and take criticism. You should welcome the criticism. Don't take it personal when someone points out something they don't like about your work. Instead, try to see things from their perspective and be patient in learning from them. I guarantee you'll not only be a much stronger writer for it, but you'll also be a much stronger person!