8 - Forgive Yourself

^ I can imagine Catra singing this ^

Adora's POV

We barely got into the air before the entire planet started to blow up. The fire almost completely surrounded the ship, but we managed to escape before it caused any real damage.

"That was way too close," Bow breathed, his voice cracking.

I turned back into my regular self and stared out the window as we flew away from where the planet used to be.

"I think it's safe to say that was a failure," I said with a nervous laugh. "At least there wasn't anyone living there."

Glimmer was sitting with her back pressed against the wall, her knees curled into her chest. Bow comforted her as she rocked back and forth.

"Maybe we should assess if the place we landed on is safe before investigating it," Bow suggested. "We shouldn't have disturbed a planet that we know nothing about."

"Yeah," Catra agreed. "Let's not do that again."

With Darla on auto pilot, we all headed off to bed. We hadn't had dinner yet, but after the whole narrowly-escaping-death incident, we had pretty much lost our appetites. There were only two bedrooms on the ship, so I went with Catra, and Glimmer went with Bow. Melog had gotten settled on the driver's seat, and didn't seem interested in moving, so we just left them there to sleep.

The two mattresses were close to the floor, and quite small, so even though I wanted to sleep with Catra next to me, I walked over to the one she wasn't sitting on. It may have been my imagination, but I could've sworn I saw her face fall.

I laid down on my back and stared up at the ceiling. My mind was all over the place; we literally just destroyed a planet! I didn't know what to think.

"Hey, Adora?" Catra asked suddenly.

"Hmm?"

"Do you wanna go raid the kitchen or something?"

I smiled at her. "Sure."

We headed over to the storage room, where we kept some of the food. We still had packaged food from Mara's time, but Entrapta has helped us prepare meals to take with us—they would stay edible for long periods of time.

"What'd you feel like?" I asked, rummaging through a bin. "We've got vegetables, meat, cake—"

"Cake?" Catra asked, her eyes lighting up.

I laughed and took the package over to the table. While I struggled to figure out how to open it, Catra found some forks in a cabinet. Once I succeeded in pulling the plastic apart, we found some chairs, pulled them up to the table, and enjoyed the slice together.

Melog walked into the room, and perched themselves up on top of the cupboard where Catra found the utensils. The creature watched us for a few seconds, then closed their eyes and rested their head on their paws.

"Melog hasn't been talking much lately, have they?" I asked.

Catra looked up at me. "How'd you guess?"

"You've been rather quiet for the last day or two, and I know Melog mimics your emotions," I said. "So what's going on?"

"Its nothing, I... I just..."

She took a deep breath in, but she didn't seem able to organize her thoughts. She put her fork down, and rubbed the back of her neck as she struggled to put what she was thinking into words. I took her free hand in mine, and gave her an encouraging smile.

"If you don't want to tell me now, you don't have to," I said. "Take your time."

She closed her eyes and shook her head lightly. "I don't know how to make things right."

"What do you mean?"

"I've wronged so many people. People have died because of me," she whispered, as if afraid to remember the person she used to be. "I want to make it up to everyone, but I don't know how."

"You already apologized to everyone, Catra," I said. "It's all in the past now."

She buried her head in her hands, clawing at the side of her face. "No, Adora, it's not. I'm not so good at this whole being-nice thing, and I don't expect to earn anyone's forgiveness, but I have to try."

"The fact that you're regretful is a good thing," I said. "You were never an evil person, Catra—you were just misguided. It might take some effort, but I'm sure you'll win everyone over in the end."

"Thanks, Adora," Catra muttered, her eyes glossy. "For... for everything."