20 - Broken Line

Glimmer's POV

I screamed as Catra disappeared into the vortex. My shock was interrupted as the line that was supposed to be connected to Adora suddenly lost a bit of tension. Thinking that this was a good sign, I started pulling on the rope, but as the line came closer, I realized Adora wasn't on the other end. 

"Glimmer, Darla can't hold on any longer," Entrapta said. "If we don't leave now, the results will be catastrophic."

"No! We can't!" I cried. "Adora's missing, Catra's gone..."

"What? What do you mean?!" Bow demanded in the background. 

"She switched the lines!" I sobbed. I didn't know what to do anymore. 

"We can't leave now! Our friends are still in there," Bow yelled at Entrapta. 

"The rest of us will be sucked in if we don't get out of its range before Darla runs out of fuel!" Entrapta argued. "They'll be no chance of saving them if we're all in the vortex! Start driving, now."

"No!"

"Fine! I'll do it!" 

Entrapta still hadn't turned her device off, so I heard her yeet Bow out of the captain's chair and take the wheel. There was a puddle of tears at the bottom of my space helment by the time y/n and Roe had hauled me back up into the ship. The boarding ramp closed, and, despite my distressed protest, the three of us headed onto the main deck. 

Catra's POV

My communicator was making weird sounds, and occasionally I would hear Glimmer's voice yelling at me as I fell into the vortex. I wanted to tell her that it was going to be okay, but it was obvious that the device wasn't going to work this far away. 

I refused to be scared. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes as I tumbled through space and into the brightly illuminated whirlwind. The further I was sucked in, the more I became surrounded by light, until all I could see was the colour white. 

I hated this colour. It reminded me of Horde Prime and when he chipped me, and I didn't like thinking about that. I pushed the memories out of my head and just tried to think of what I was going to do now. 

My body tensed up as the pressure within my space suit increased, making it hard to breathe. It felt like I was drowning, but I immediately regretted making that connection, because the thought of water made me start hyperventilating. 

I shrieked in surprise as I collided with something. I went stiff for a second, but then I slowly pushed my hands behind me to feel what was there. My palms met with a surface, but I couldn't recognize the texture. 

I turned myself around to see exactly what I was resting against. I was surprised to see the object was a strange sphere made of who-knows-what surrounding a radiating light the size of a person. Something emerged from behind that light, and I drew back a little before I realized what--or who--it was. 

"Adora," I whispered, even though she couldn't hear me. 

What are you doing here? she seemed to ask as she pulled herself towards me. 

"The line broke," I said, hoping she could read my lips. "Did you find Angella?"

She nodded, then pointed behind her. I squinted to see the sillhouette of Bright Moon's former queen supended in the center of the light.  

"What do we do?" I mouthed, pressing my hands up against the spere. "And how the heck did you get in there?"

She didn't answer, but she took her sword and pressed the tip agaisnt the inside edge of the sphere. I watched as Adora cut out a flap in the substance, and reached out to grab my wrist. I yelped as she yanked me through the gap before the flap closed and mended itself. 

Adora hugged me, and after a moment or two, she pulled away and drew a circle with her sword below her, which made a disc that we could stand on. She took my hand and used the platform to shoot us up towards Angella, but instead of ramming into her like I thought we would, we went right through her. 

"What does that mean?" I asked, refering to Angella's lack of physical substance. 

I don't know, she admitted. Her expression looked defeated. 

Before I could say anything else, I noticed the rope attatched to Adora's waist was loosly hanging below her, and it was cut short. Adora followed my gaze, and gasped--or she would have, if there were air in space--once she realized we no longer had a connection to our friends on the ship. 

"Welp," I muttered. "We're screwed."