Dis-ease

A young girl sat in the centre of class her chin resting in the centre of her palm as her eyes scanned over the clock mounted sloppily onto the peeling plaster of the wall, the thin rimmed glasses that rested comfortably rose up and down as her nose crinkled listening intently to the soft ticks over the droning of the English teacher.

Her knee bounced uncomfortably as her eyes closed, barely avoiding the teachers eyes on her own as her shoe heel clicked against the surface of the shiny floor. An abrupt cough startled her out her thoughts as the teacher towered over her, standing erect in front of her desk slapping the overly long ruler against the top.

" What is the answer to question twenty-seven" The croaky voice of the elder male demanded, directing the tip of the ruler to the blackboard.

The girl arose from her seat, closing the book on the desk.

" The Post-chorus is the singer trying to conquer his curiosity but it nonetheless gets the better of him, however because of his appearance he has to put on a mask. The mask could symbolise the façade he is trying to create in order to feel secure in society, in a way it could hide his true intentions or his insecurities. He is trying to give the effect to a listener that everyone longs for something but their insecurities get the best of them, from trying to approach a person or confronting their fear. The use of the mask is showing that something always stands between that person so they are not always able to be themselves, it also emphasises the lengths some people will go through to keep these emotions and feelings hidden."

She released a small sigh after her explanation watching as the teachers face morphed into one of proudness and confusion.

" Very good Miss Fey just pay attention next time."

The elderly man retreated back to the front of the class waving the ruler aimlessly through the air as he explained something in English. The girl sighed once more as she sat down, reopening the book as she glanced around the room her eyes meeting with a pair of doe ones at the back of the class. Swiftly she turned back to the teacher mumbling under her breath.

The class dragged, the hour almost arriving so she began packing her belongings into her backpack shuffling some of the objects inside around. The older male looked at her suspiciously but nonetheless let her continue as he proceeded teaching. As the bell was about to ring a hollow thud echoed around the classroom, causing the male to dissolve into silence as he glared at his students. The girl didn't bother looking up from her bag as she pulled something out, listening to the demands of the teacher.

Another hollow bang followed after a loud bellow outside the classroom; and the door to the room slid open. A girl no older than herself ran inside, her shirt ripped and stained with red as her hair created a nest on her skull. Sweat dripped down her face as she panted, pointing to the door erratically, her words barely audible over her pants.

A deep throated growl left someone nearby and the girl was pulled out of the classroom, her body flying out of the door, followed by a cry for help. The class chuckled in amusement at the thought of an elder boys prank that he was commonly known for; and ran to gather around the doorframe. Their laughter echoed over the inhuman growl outside and drowned out pleas of their classmate.

A loud gasp followed by a thud danced through the class as a dishevelled student lunged at one of the boys knocking him to the ground. From the looks of it, it appeared to be female but it's skin was discoloured and littered in finger scratches. The boys laughed at their friend that lay on the floor with the female on top of him, even when another inhuman growl past her lips her teeth gnashing together . They didn't bother to help their friend who battled the frenzied female, not even when the girl pierced his flesh with her teeth leaving him to scream in agony.

The tonoi went off in the distance, the obnoxious music playing through the halls like a concert. The head spoke softly into the microphone, as another alarm went off in the distance like a war siren.

" The government has released an official statement of an undiagnosed disease being spread worldwide and has dictated schools to keep students under their watch until the warning has ceased. If anybody in your class has symptoms of a fever, drowsiness or rabid behaviour please evacuated immediately and alert the nearest staff member."

The laughter's had ceased during the announcement as they witnessed the scuffle on the floor finally getting a closer look at the girl and her 'rabid behaviour'. Her brown hair was falling out onto the floor and her skin had a light green tint to it, her nails were splintered and stained an unearthly red, her face was half torn showing the bone in her skull. The boy underneath her had fallen unearthly still as the girl clawed away at his skin.

The girls in the classroom began to shriek alerting the attacker of their presence and she lunged at them, her milky white eyes piercing into their colourful orbs as she knocked them down. The boys had begun to retreat slowly out of the classroom, trampling over their friend that lay lifeless in the centre of the doorway.

The original girl had simply watched as the situation occurred, but slowly smiled as she slipped out of the classroom. It had been only a matter of time till the disease reached Korea, it was only a shame it happened so soon. Making her way down the halls she was greeted with silence apart from the occasional bang against a locker far in the distance. It was also a surprise to her that people had actually listened to the Principle and stayed in their classrooms.

Removing the thin rimmed glasses from her face she placed a beanie on her head, as she pushed open the entrance to the high school. The lingering smell of burning drafted through the air as she took in her surroundings. The skylines emitted smoke as buildings burned beneath them, the sky was a deathly blood red as lifeless clouds drafted over the portrait. A gentle shake of the metallic gates in front of the school gate shook as three unidentified people clawed through the gaps of the metal, groaning in what seemed like pain.

The siren still echoed over the distance, car horns joining in on the unending symphony followed shortly by a choir of screams from inside the school. She sighed softly as she inhaled the smoke filled air stepping forwards to the gate. Swiftly she unbuckled the switch blade from her key chain, flipping it open almost instantly.

" Well, Well I never expected you to follow me." She spoke to thin air. " Jeon Jungkook."

She turned around on her heel to face her pursuer who looked at her in astonishment. Out of habit she flicked the switchblade closed and open again like a light switch as she waited for him to respond.

" They're dead" He stated solemnly, hanging his head. " Every single one of them."

" That's just life Jeon, the weak die while the strong grow stronger." She flipped the blade round her index finger watching his movement.

" You knew this would happen" He began anger evident in his voice. " You knew and you didn't tell anyone."

" So what if I did or didn't, it's not like half of those assholes deserved to live anyway."

" It doesn't matter if they deserved to die or not they are human just like you and me, they should have at least have had a chance." He was yelling at this point, stomping his way to the girl.

" I guarantee over half of them wouldn't survive in the first three days of being outside these gates, around eight-seven percent would give themselves up before being eaten whereas the others would be to weak to survive. Only one percent of over thousands of students would survive, and by one percent I mean me."

" Who do you think you are deciding on who lives or who dies" He jabbed at her chest, pushing her backwards as she stared at him boredly. " Where's that obnoxious little shit back in the classroom, huh?!"

She chuckled, propping the blade between her fingers as she threw her arm backwards. Jungkook remained motionless in front of her, barely feeling the wind whip past his ear as she launched the blade past him. A hollow thump echoed behind him followed by the growls he had grown to fear in only moments of his life. He turned on his heel looking at the corpse that lay lifeless at his feet, the congress of 'the infected' tripping over each other as they ran down the hallway.

" Well done little boy your shouting dragged them right to us and you made me waste my only silent weapon." She pouted as she scanned the outside, her mouth twisting into a smile. " I hope you like road trips."