Chapter 5

Hinata

Its been a week that I have been avoiding Kageyama. We meet only during the practices where we sometimes do our freak quick. He mostly practices with Haruki. I stopped minding because its no use. It just hurts me more if I keep holding on. Sugawara told me to go talk to him a lot of times now. But I couldn't muster the courage to bring myself to talk to him.

Kageyama, himself, didn't mind me avoiding him so I think it was settled. I doubt whether he realized at all. If I confess about my feelings he would simply yell at me or call me a freak. I chuckled to myself at the thought, sadly, sitting in the corner of the gym, with a bottle in my hands. Everyone else was practicing. Usually, its me and Kageyama who doesn't rest up much. But with Haruki around now, I got some time to rest up.

"Hinata-kun?"

I looked up to see Yachi standing over me. She sat beside me and I saw concern in her eyes. "Are you alright?"

I smiled. "Of course, I am, Yachi-chan. Why ask?"

Yachi shook her head. I knew she didn't buy that. She is one of my closest friends and she knows to read people inside out. I really hope she doesn't find out. Not yet.

"Do you realise that you are not being yourself for some time now?"

"H-huh?"

"Yes, Hinata-kun. You are really off. You aren't lively and cheerful anymore." she said, sadly.

I nudged her side with my elbow. "You seem to know me quite well, Yachi-chan. You like me or what?"

Yachi's face turned red. "W-what?! N-no! I-I d-don't!" She covers her face and I burst out laughing.

"Hinata!" Daichi yelled. "Stop messing with Yachi!"

I laughed. "Sorry senpai!" I looked around and saw everyone was really engrossed in practising. My eyes stopped on Kageyama who was already staring at me. He immediately averted his eyes.

"Hey Yachi-chan! Do you wanna go out this evening?" I asked her. I needed some distraction.

Yachi widened her eyes. "Really? You want me to?"

"Yeah. I mean we could hang out."

She smiled. "Alright."

"Oooohhh our little Hinata has a date!" Noya yelled from the other side of the gym.

"Hey! It's nothing like that!" I said, embarrassed.

Noya and Tanaka doubled over laughing.

I ran over to Sugawara. I couldn't simply sit around and do nothing. "Senpai! TOSS TO ME PLEASE!"

Sugawara smiled. "Okay okay."

I spiked Sugawara's sets for the rest of the practice. I missed practicing late with Kageyama. Suga was right. Falling for someone is easy but moving on is way hard. I helped cleaning the gym after practice. I took the ball basket and was about to keep them in the storage when I saw Kageyama standing there.

"Hey Kageyama!" I said, as normally as possible.

"You know I can understand how you are avoiding me, right?" he said, nonchalantly.

I blink twice and then made a poker face. "No? Because I am not."

"Quit lying, Shoyou!" he raised his voice. "Its been like a week we haven't practiced together. You are always asking Sugawara to toss balls for you. What's wrong with you?"

I looked around to see Daichi and Sugawara giving as concerned looks. I sighed and took the basket inside. "You're one to talk." I muttered.

"What was that, shrimp?" he yelled.

"Stop making a scene, Kageyama! And its Hinata for you." I pushed past him, my heart was aching too much. Yachi was standing at the door, with a concerned look on her face.
"Are you ready to go?" I asked her. She was hesitating at first and then she nodded.

We roamed around the town stopping at different foodplaces. We ate porkbuns, sushis and so many yummy things. Yachi loves food, which almost reminded me of Natsu. That kid's a foodie! So am I actually. Finally, we stop at an ice-cream parlour.

"What's your favorite flavour?" Yachi asked.

"Blueberry!" I grinned. I got blueberry flavour and Yachi got chocolate. "I liked that flavor for a very funny reason before."

"What is it?"

"My favorite color is blue, that's why."

Yachi giggled and I laughed. "Now I like because of the flavor."

We walked in silence and reached the station. "You sure you don't want me to accompany you home?"

"Yes, Hinata. I'll be fine." she smiled. "Thanks for today."

"Nah..it was my pleasure." I smiled back. Then I cycled back home. Somehow Yachi made me forget about things I was worrying about like a pain-killer. But for how long? This is hard. I didn't feel like doing anything anymore. Somehow I didn't feel the urge to play volleyball anymore. It was like if Kageyama sets for me, I am playing or else I'm out.

I stared at ceiling while lying down. I couldn't sleep with all these thoughts inside my head. A tear streamed down my eyes. Why am I crying? Who am I crying for? A person who doesn't even know what he means to me.

My phone buzzed. I squint at the screen. Kageyama.

Kageyama: oi boke! are you up? could use some assistance.

What assisstance did he need from me? Out of everyone he could have texted, why me? And in the situation we both are in, it sucked to even reply. But me being me, I could help but reply. Typical Hinata.

Me: what kind of help?

Kageyama: you'll see when you come. i'm at the park here. make it quick.

Me: okay hold on.

I got out of bed and quietly went down, not to wake anyone up and went to see what that boy was upto.