Secret Understudy

Sarah had a three-page passage to memorize for her Spanish class the next day. She wasn't particularly great at memorizing things, but thankfully, it was still early enough for her to try.

At eight in the afternoon, she'd finished everything else she had to do for her classes, so she still had all night to get that passage memorized.

She started with the first paragraph, re-reading it in her head over and over. She'd close her eyes and try to remember the first few lines from memory. She found it increasingly difficult, seeing as there was no flow to this.

Two hours later, she still found herself unable to actually memorize more than a few lines. Why were there so many lines?

Her eyelids were drooping, and she wasn't quite in the best mood. It would be so much easier, she thought, if her and her sister shared the class so she could study with her. Emily was way better at memorizing lines than she was. She practically had a photographic memory.

Unfortunately, she was out studying with Calvin for another class's exam. Sarah wished she were there to help.

At 1:45 in the morning, she was well on her way to losing her sanity. She hadn't even gotten a quarter through the passage, and was so exhausted from waking up early that morning.

She'd gone out for a morning and afternoon jog to manage her anxiety levels, but now she just wanted to sleep. Since the class was early in the morning, she knew she wouldn't sleep a minute if she was memorizing at this pace.

Tears welled up in her eyes, and she couldn't help but let out a groan that turned into a sob halfway though. How was she going to do this?!

Sarah had already forgotten some of the first paragraph while she was working on memorizing the third.

She felt hopeless.

This passage reciting was a big percentage of her grade, and if she were going to even have a chance at passing the class, she'd need to properly recite at least 70% of it.

Still, she pushed on and tried her best to memorize more of it.

She'd gotten through almost half of it before accidentally falling asleep.

When Emily came back from "studying" and accidentally falling asleep at Calvin's later that morning, she noticed her sister slumped over her desk

Was she done with everything? Or...