1. Percy

Chapter 1: Percy

Swim practice today was hell. But then again, when is summer practice ever fun? My coach wouldn't stop screaming at me, even when I was pushing myself to my limit. Something was just off - my legs wouldn't kick fast enough and my arms were flailing in the air. I was constantly gasping for breath, like a fish out of water. It didn't feel good. Even the other guys on the team were laughing at me. It doesn't bother me when they do that, it just leaves me irritated that I wasn't able to complete the practice.

I love to swim, but the competitiveness of my high school team sometimes gets to my head - not in a cocky way. I hate my constant struggle in practice. I never know what is happening or the specific terms for different exercises. I was never on an actual swim team, and before now, I just really liked to swim. So, this year, when my parents found out that my school has a swim team, they convinced me to try out. I was really excited because the practices started during the summer, and I was always bored in the previous summers, so at least this would have been a fun pastime. But no one expected me to make the varsity team. I was shocked when the coach told me.

Plus, all the other guys on the varsity team are so much older than me. In reality, it's only a couple years, but to me it feels like eternity. Especially when they talk about going to parties and messing around.

So, here I was, about to walk out of the dressing room next to the park pool, feeling quite unsatisfied with my performance at the pool. I could even hear the rest of the team snickering behind my back and calling me "fishlegs" or "fisharms." I ignored them, those jerks weren't worth my time.

"Hey!" Luke called out, from inside the dressing room. I stepped back in. I have two friends on the team. Him and Jason Grace, the only other sophomore on the team. They're the only two rational people on this team and Jason Grace has actually been my best friend for as long as I can remember.

Luke stepped out into an aisle of the dressing room. "We're having a party with the rest of the team this afternoon. It's at Charlie's house. Wanna come? You can invite anyone you like."

"Sorry, can't come," I hollered. I had been avoiding these so-called parties that the captain of the team, which was in fact Luke, organized. My insides turned with the thought of going to a party with the varsity team. It would probably involve drinking and other similar horrors.

"Okay no problem." He sounded annoyed or disappointed.

"Next time, for sure, though," I added. He gave me a crooked smile and a thumbs up. I instantly felt better. My constant need to please people was quite annoying. But uh-oh. What had I just promised? Why couldn't I learn to keep my mouth shut?

 The public bus I took home arrived late, as usual. It was fairly empty, and after I paid my fare, I was able to find a seat next to the window. I sat down in the neon green seats, and my body quickly sank in the cushion. I wrinkled my nose. The bus had a reeky odor that had always bothered me, and even after taking it every day, I still couldn't get used to it. I turned on my phone and started to play my favorite playlist. Anything to drown out the buzzing voices of failure in my head. Anything to get away from my life, just for a little while. Anything to get lost in the maddening routine of summer.

"How was swim?" asked my mom, as soon as I entered the house.

"Fine. The usual, you know?" I told her, while I fished my water bottle out of my backpack and set it on the counter,

"Ok, well you don't want to be late. Especially if you need to ask Mr. D about that homework problem." I rolled my eyes. Mr. D was my math teacher, who loved to embarrass me in front of my class. I had already told my mom that he hates me or has some evil plan to fail me, but it doesn't get to her head. I just pretend to go along now. Mr. D never answers my questions anyways.

This upcoming year was going to be my second year of high school, and I was going to be a sophomore. I wasn't excited for the year, especially since I hadn't done so well in freshman year, but this year I wanted to pass all my classes with grades that were B's or higher. Which is why I was taking math lessons at a local college.

"Ok bye mom, I'll be back in an hour or two." I raced down the steps. I had never specified the exact duration of the class to my mom, in case I wanted to do something after. For example, once I was so annoyed after Mr. D embarrassed me that I just ran to the pool and started doing laps. Or another time, it was so hot, I went to the convenience store to buy myself some ice-cream. It's not like my mother wouldn't have approved, but I wanted that sort of freedom.

"Ok sweetie. Have fun!" she called out, as I ran out the door.

"Sure thing, mom," I panted to myself. I picked up the speed because the bus would be at the stop in 30 seconds. 29, 28, 27. If I missed this stop, I wouldn't be able to ask Mr. D my question. I knew he wasn't going to answer me, but I was still curious. 20, 19, 18. I was one block away. 15, 14, 13. One thing was for certain: no matter what my mom said, the class was not going to be fun in any way possible. 10, 9, 8. I saw the bus pull up. 3, 2, 1. I raced to the door, and jumped on at the last second.

Yes, I thought to myself. I quickly paid the fare and made my way to the back, wondering how I would deal with Mr. D today.

I made my way through the open hallways of the college. The walls seemed like they could have been white a long time ago, now they were stained with mud, dirt and grime. Disgusting.

Finally I reached the wooden door of my classroom: room 301. I stepped in and braced myself for the worst.

"Oh, look who's early for class. It's Peter Johnson," yawned Mr. D. Great, I hadn't even opened my mouth and Mr. D was already annoyed.

I filled my voice with fake enthusiasm. To him, my name was Peter Johnson, no matter all the times I tried to correct him. "Hi Mr. D! I actually came to ask you a question about this weekend's homework. I was a little confused on numbers 13 to 16."

"Oh, yes. Those were a tad bit challenging. However, I cannot be bothered right now. As you can see, I have so much work to do." He pointed at a single piece of paper on his desk. It was probably blank anyways. "But, there is an alternative. They have a summer homework help club. Here's their flyer."

A summer help club? Maybe that could help me get my grade up. "Thanks Mr. D. I'll check it out!" I replied enthusiastically, but not faking it this time. I was sure this homework help club could help me raise my grade.

"You are welcome," he replied lazily, barely looking up from his sheet of paper.

The math lesson was difficult, but I was sure that this homework help club would be able to help me. I just had that feeling. Maybe it was destiny.