Chapter 3

"So you've come here, assassin."

Hit stopped walking into a dark alleyway, but didn't turn to face the owner of that voice. He knew who it was.

"Yeah, so what? I'm just doing my job."

Jiren scowled, "You believe killing for money is just? That you can just choose whether someone lives or dies?"

Hit's red eyes turned to face him despite the fact that he still couldn't see him, "I don't choose, the clients do. I'm just doing it for them."

"That does not dismiss the fact that you are the one killing them." Jiren continued, "You play a part in that, no matter what you tell yourself."

Hit chuckled, "If you think I'm so bad, then why don't you face me here and now?"

The Gray answered without missing a beat, "The only reason I am not bringing you in right now is because we share common allies and friends, and it would be unwise to sever ties. Nevertheless, that doesn't excuse you for your crimes."

Hit clenched his fists in his pockets, the Gray beginning to get on his nerves, "Why do you care? You don't have the right to say anything. Goku told me what you did back at the tournament, how you attacked his friends, and although he may have forgiven you, that doesn't mean you're pardoned for your own crimes."

"That may be so, but would you have done the same had someone challenged your ideals and beliefs?" Jiren inquired, "Doing whatever it took to prove someone wrong? I know your kind, assassin. Although those Saiyan children trust you, many see you as nothing more than a cold-blooded murderer. Someone who kills because they can, because they need to fill a void. That's all you are."

"Is that... what you think I am?"

That was the last straw.

Hit sharply turned to face the Pride Trooper, his voice raising ever so slightly "You think I asked to become an assassin? Do you think I take pleasure in killing others? I never wanted this life, I never chose this life, and yet here I am, around 950 years later, being known as the Legendary Assassin of Universe 6."

His piercing red eyes narrowed at the man before him, his frustration beginning to show, "I kill, not because I want to, but because I need to save someone. I kill because of a debt I need to repay. I KILL because I promised someone that I'd protect her, and I will never betray that promise. Never. A man like you could never understand the need to protect others, no matter if he's changed or not."

Jiren and Hit stared at each other for a while. Two completely different yet similar men facing off. Deep down, the Gray knew where Hit was getting at with the need to protect. He was a Pride Trooper after all, protecting others came with the job. Though he must have really struck a nerve if he forced the assassin to face him and raise his voice, if ever so slightly.

Soon, he closed his eyes and sighed, caving in after the the response he had gotten, "I see... so that is your answer?"

Hit seemed somewhat breathless, but still managed to reply, "Yes. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to fulfil a contract."

Jiren didn't stop him when Hit Time-Skipped away, leaving Jiren to ponder about the assassin's words. What did he mean? Who was he trying to protect? He wanted answers, but knew that he wouldn't give them.

With another sigh, he turned away and flew off, where to was unknown, but he just needed somewhere to clear his thoughts.

---

Hit was returning home after fulfilling a contract and receiving his payment, walking through the more unscrupulous and ignoble streets of Planet Netfiss. It was already late at night, so the shadows were able to mask his visage relatively well, adding to the fact that few people were walking at this time. His mind was still whirling after his conversation with the Pride Trooper, and mentally scolded himself for letting him get so worked up over something as his job.