one

The clouds gathered and the winds kept blowing. It's becoming darker by the minutes. Dr Eesa drove into the school compound. The drive from the busy city of Lagos through the thick bushes and dusty road to Benin City wasn't much of a pleasure. At some point through the journey, rain fell heavily and other places, it was only cloudy. The pot holes on the Lagos-Benin expressway were enough to ignite the entire ache one can think of in the body. The storms roared louder, it was threatening a heavy downpour. The family hurried out of the 2013 Toyota RAV4 to carry the boxes containing Salmah's belongings. Just then, a helper in a brown khaki uniform warmed up to them and helped put the boxes in a wheelbarrow. He pushed it as fast as possible, as its beginning to drizzle. The Eesa family doubled up their walk into the school hall.

In the hall, the assistant placed the boxes on the floor and smiled. Dr Eesa smiled back and tipped him. He thanked him and left. Here they were, at the Criterion College, Benin city. Abu Salmah had always wanted his children attend this prestigious college. He was attracted by the article their Director of Administration published in the dailies every month, the major reason he buys that particular newspaper every last Thursday of the month. In recent times when parents can't distinguish between their children's ability and the outcome of illegal help rendered to students during unified examinations, Criterion College stood out. Dr Eesa admired the fact that the school doesn't engage in all of those. Although it's a missionary school, it's not all ideal.

Salmah Oladunni Eesa is the first daughter of the Eesa family. She's a month above 10years old. Fair in complexion like her mom, facial attributes and chubbiness like her dad. Salmah was quite aware that she'll be attending a boarding school; she was yet to understand how it felt to stay away from loved ones as she had never slept outside her home not even once. Even during festive seasons, other family members come over to their house. This practice had been on before her Grandpa died. He stayed at his son's house since Salmah was born. During that time, he had been very sick. He died shortly after.

They were at the account section, that's the first section to be cleared. This is to confirm full payment of school fees and make a deposit of at least five thousand naira as pocket money. Tellers were confirmed and Dr Eesa made a deposit of ten thousand naira in Salmah's account. She was given a document that had her name, admission number and room number. Just below that in a tabular form, were the sections they had to go to be checked before getting the clearance slip to enter the hostels and classrooms. The account section had been marked 'cleared'. The hall was packed to the brim with both old and new students. Everyone was trying to get cleared. Bags and boxes were being opened and zipped. Books and other hostel itemslittered the floor. They moved to the books section. They had to wait a bit for the staff to finish with the family they met there. They were not to buy any book outside school. So when it was their turn, they checked the ones they desired to buy on the list of books given to them and handed it over to the man.

"Twenty-seven thousand naira only", the cashier announced

Dr Eesa counted the amount from the cash he had and paid. The books were neatly arranged in the school's customised polythene bag and Saalim carried it.

It took them more than an hour to tour round all sections. The accommodation section took more time than the rest of the sections. They were all in Salmah's room. They had been arranging her things in her wardrobe which is adjacent to her bunk. Her younger sister was excitedly picking up things and passing it to their mom who was arranging them. Her father helped in writing her name on all her belongings including bowls and buckets.

"Mummy, how are we putting up the mosquito net?"

"I'll put it up once we are done laying your bed, so we don't get to mess it up before leaving", her dad responded.