six

It’s been 6years since Mubeen left the country. He had just one more year to go to become a full fledged Architect. It takes seven years to bag a BArch in the UK. Although he had a B.Sc in Building science at the University of Bath which took three years, he decided to proceed further and run all the programs at once before returning home. That had been his plan until Maymah was set to return home after her B.Sc. He misses home terribly. He had stood his ground of not coming home since he completed his B.Sc. His mother had tried convincing him to at least come home for Maymah’s graduation, but he refused. He claimed to have his project defense some days after so he really couldn’t make it. It was more than the defence he had and he knew it. He was not ready to face her during those periods. Maymah had told him the reason she had cried the other day in school. He missed that part when he eavesdropped. He didn’t even get a chance to ask her for forgiveness. It took a strong determination for him to forget her and focus on his studies. He had been fairing well ever since.

He was still in contact with Farhan and some of his classmates. A lot had happened over the years. His brother had another baby boy. Two of his favourite seniors in college got married. Two of his maternal cousins also got married. Talking of marriage, Mubeen had laughed his head off whenFarhan told him about Zahrah. Farhan was the too selective type. Every girl had one defect or the other. He literally made up excuses for each girl his mom suggested. Mubeen was keen on meeting this Zahrah once he got back to Nigeria.

Maymah checked back for the last time to ensure all appliances were switched off and curtains drawn. Mubeen had carried their boxes downstairs to the trunk of the cab. He sat beside the driver waiting for Maymah. He doesn’t understand women and their love for lateness. He dialled her number and ended the call when he saw her approaching them. She got in the backseat and the driver started the car. They were heading to Bristol airport which was about 15km away from Bath.

“Have you called Salmah back?” Mubeen broke the silence

“Subhanallah! Wallahi I forgot” Maymah quickly dialled Salmah’s number. She put it on speaker and placed it on the seat as she searched her bag for her ear pods. Salmah picked at the second ring.

“Ah Maymah! Nawa for you o, sinceI’ve been calling you.O ga” Salmah said with a hint of hurt in her voice

“Wallahi, I forgot! It was even Mubeen that reminded me now sef. Ma binu” Maymah apologised. It took Salmah good 10 seconds to respond.

“Oh. How are you sha? Whats up? Farhan was emphasizing the need for me to reach you? What’s the problem?”

“Ehen... I don’t know what he’s talking about o. I’m verygood anyways. How are you too?” Maymah tapped Mubeen and questioned him with her eyes. She knew he was listening because the phone was still on speaker. Mubeen shrugged.

“Alhamdulillah. My exams start next month, remember me in your du’a. You have left me alone in this struggle, perks of studying abroad. Wait, when are you coming home?” Maymah couldn’t believe she forgot telling Salmah about her trip.

“I’m on my way to the airport” She clenched her teeth together “look, I’m very sorry Salmah. I thought I told you before”

“You didn’t! Maybe that was what Farhan was talking about. Anyway, its fine. How many hours long?”

“Say 14?There’ll be a stopover. So yeah, we should be in Nigeria in 14 hours”

“We?”

“ Yeah... Mubeen is coming home too” Maymah said reluctantly.

They haven’t discussed anything Mubeen since that day at school. Salmah had avoided answering some of Maymah’s questions regarding him. When it was becoming too frequent, Salmah out rightly told her to stop asking her if she still feels anything for him. She didn’t feel anything for anyone again and that’s all. Maymah had since then stopped mentioning his name around her talkless of talking about him. Although now, Maymah wasn’t sure if the feelings still existed in both of them. They both seemed to have moved on and doing fine. It was just mere infatuation afterall, she thought.