three

The excitement of going home after over nine months of staying in school was ecstatic. Salmah had been packing and packing like she wasn’t coming back to the school again. She zipped her box and placed it at a corner on her bed. She was ready to go home tomorrow. How much she missed home. She wanted to get some edibles for Sakeenah. She won’t be able to buy them outside the school because she will be driven straight to the airport. She wore her hijab and got prepared to buy some things from the retail store in school. Of course, she will be going with her twin. She walked into Umaymah’s room. Umaymah had packed her things earlier. She was going home only with her school bag. She couldn’t fathom why Salmah had to pack almost all the things in her wardrobe when she will still be back before the graduation ceremony. Salmah met her lying on her bed reading a novel. Umaymah is a bookaholic. Yeah, same as Salmah. They have both lost count of the number of novels they had read within the years they spent in the school, though they owned none. Umaymah got up at the sight of her. She had been a bit reserved since the incident with Shaykh Sameer.

On that very day, she had waited till Zuhr for salmah to come back to class. She even waited behind after zuhr hoping she will come to pray, when she saw shaykh walking towards the mosque. She got a bit hyper when she saw no traces of salmah coming. She went back to class, packed their stuff and went to the dining hall. She was sure she will at least come for lunch. She kept waiting anxiously till she was done eating. She hurriedly packed up and began walking to the hostel. Something was definitely wrong. She knew.

“Hey sis!” Mubeen appeared from nowhere and walked closer to his sister. Umaymah raised an eyebrow questioning why he called her. She was in no mood for her brother’s pranks and teases.

“Did you and Salmah have a fight?” he narrowed his eyes at her,apparently serious.

Umaymah was surprised. Mubeen had never shown interest in their friendship. Even when both families met, he only greeted Salmah’s parents and left. Where was this coming from? What is happening? She tried to add things up.

“Umaymah!”

“No. Why do you ask?”

“I saw her earlier in the morning. She looked like she’s been crying so much. Thought you guys had a fight” he explained.

Umaymah was alarmed.

“She was at Shaykh Sameer’s office earlier and I haven’t seen her since then. I was about checking her in the hostel when you stopped me.”

“Oh! Why?” Mubeen was beginning to get scared. He hoped it’s not what he was thinking. He knew Maymah doesn’t know anything about it yet. She isn’t that secretive. If she had known, she’ld have confronted him.

“I don’t know o. I’m sensing this is something big-” she eyed her brother suspiciously

“Wait, why are you so much interested in this? You guys don’t even talk to each other. What’s this about Mubeen? What have you done this time?”
Mubeen had always hated her guts. She was the younger one for crying out loud. Why is she more intelligent than her age? This girl is in JSS3. She hasn’t even started menstruating. He hissed.

“Oh!For real? That I saw your friend very down and I cared ba? I’m sorry your highness. I won’t do that next time. Forgive me ma” he said sarcastically

“It’s not like that jor. Let me go and see her. We will talk later” she smiled

“Alright take care” Mubeen heaved a sigh of relief. He will be graduating in few days. Nothing must tarnish his integrity before leaving.

Getting to Salmah’s room, she met her sleeping. She decided not to disturb her. So, she went back when it was time for ‘Asr. Salmah hadn’t read anything for the day. Maymah was getting worried. Then she met her getting dressed.
Salmah looked up at her.