five

It was another Monday morning. Zahrah had been waking her up for some minutes now and she’s yet to stand up. She’ll stretch, turn and return to sleep. Salmah had woken up for Tahajjud and waited till after Fajr before sleeping. She was supposed to be up, having her bath and getting ready for class.

“Saaaly, get up joor!” Zahrah hit her on her arm.

“What is it now? Must I go to class ni” Salmah hissed and turned.

“Are you for real? You won’t write the in-course to get adequate sleep?” Zahrah glared at her.

Salmah sat up. She almost forgot she had an in-course today. She had even done last minute revision the previous night. She loves sleeping, that hasn’t changed.

It’s been 3 years since Salmah graduated from Criterion College. Umaymah was the best graduating student. She travelled out 2 months after to join her brother. They still communicate, especially through WhatsApp. Salmah had grown taller, chubbier and matured. She had other episodes of the love thing after he left. The difference was she wasn’t interested in anybody anymore and she reported the cases appropriately. She grew firmer and stricter when it comes to the opposite sex. When not absolutely necessary, she hardly greets them. Some mistook it for pride because she’s brilliant, some said because she’s pretty, some said both, some admired her stance and others were just indifferent.  She really doesn’t care.

She gained admission immediately after secondary school into the Department of Radiography, University of Lagos. She had been coming from home everyday throughout her first year. Her Father’s driver would drop her at school as early as 5:30am, sometimes 6:00am and pick her up later in the evening. She usually stayed in the mosque after Fajr prayers till she had class before leaving. Other times, she stayed at the library especially in the afternoon and evening till the driver arrives. It was her most stressful year yet shuttling between Ajah and Unilag every weekday. She did not attend any MSSN activity till she got to College of medicine. And there, she got a hostel. So there was no need coming from home again. She was in her third year, second semester, a first class student, though not the best student yet.

She got up and rushed to have her bath. Luckily for her, the cleaners had just washed the restrooms. Zahrah was waiting for her. She dressed up as fast as possible, unplugged her Samsung S9, packed her bag and got ready to step out. She wore her purple Jilbaab and observed her salatul Duha. Well, she took to the school of thought that said salatud Duha starts after sunrise. Most times, she observed it at 7:30 or 7:40 latest. She slung her bag on her left shoulder and dashed out of the room. She met Zahrah at the corridor and they both left for class.

Having finished for the day, Salmah and Zahrah were on their way to the workers’ mosque. They were yet to say their Asr prayer and would be going to join an on-going MSSN program at the main mosque. Zahrah is Salmah’s close friend. They walk together and do most things together. They had met in 100level in the department. During both semesters’ examination, Zahrah squattedSalmah in her room. Zahrah is a very fun to be with character, beauty with brains. Although, she doesn’t wear the Jilbaab, her Islamic ideology isn’t fluff. They had entered the main mosque’s gate and were racing up the stairs.

“I hope we at least meet questions and answers” Salmah spoke in her accent as they walk up the stairs

“Pardon” Zahrah tried imitating the accent and Salmah laughed.

“Zahrah, you are a case” she said grinning

They entered the hall and met people standing up. They had finished program and people were about taking their leave. They exchanged pleasantries with other sisters. Some made fun of them for coming late and they all laughed it off. It was almost Maghrib, so they went downstairs and stayed in the Musallah till the adhan was made. After the prayers, they retired to their hostel for the night. Zahrah stayed back at Salmah’s room to have dinner. Salmah microwaved the Efo riro she had in the fridge and boiled water for Eba. That was the fastest food they could make after noodles.