eight

It was beginning to drizzle as it was the raining season. Salmah sat in the car waiting for Zahrah. She had called her earlier to meet her up at their favourite ice cream spot. It was past six in the evening and Zahrah was yet to arrive. Salmah’s phone rang for the sixth time in fifteen minutes. It was Farhan calling.

“how far now?” she heard Farhan’s worried voice

“relax, she’s almost here loverboy” she rolled her eyes.

She waited some few minutes before Zahrah arrived. She got out of the car and told her dad’s driver she won’t be taking much time. She was going back to school that evening. She walked towards the entrance of the lounge where Zahrah was standing.

“Woo, ma binu. I just wanted to pack my things once and for all, so we can go to school together. Ma binu”

“Mo tigbo. Shaa lets go inside” Salmah pushed the aluminium door inwards allowing Zahrah enter first, then she before releasing the door to close on its own.

“What’sup? How many plastics of ice cream are we buying today? I hope NEPA won’t fuck up in school this time o” Zahrah said as she looked around. “Saaly, I want doughnuts” she said with a pout.

“Someone else will buy them for you. Just behave yourself and pause your crazy character” Salmah held Zahrah’s wrist and gently pulled her to the table Farhan was sitting at. She observed he was talking with a guy on the same table. May be one of his friends, she thought. Farhan’s side view and the guy’s back was what she could see.

“Saly, what’s happening?” Zahrah was confused. She thought they were there to buy ice cream as usual and maybe some pastries.

“Hey Farhan! Salam alaykum” Salmah smiled

“Wa alaykum salam warahmatullah. Have your seat” Farhan stood up and brought outa chair for Salmah to seat.

“No don’t worry. Make it quick. I’ll just buy some ice cream and some pasteries and maybe window shop” Mubeen looked up at the person talking. Salmah? Is she the Zahrah’s friend Farhan had been calling? She didn’t even notice him yet.

All the while, Zahrah was looking from Salmah to Farhan. She doesn’t understand her role in the scene yet.

“Farhan wants to have a word with you” Salmah whispered in Zahrah’s ear and left.

Zahrah was lost. Like, what’s her business with Farhan? Aside the tasleem, nothing more. Besides, she had always viewed him as one egoistic guy who hardly talks to sisters because most ladies in school think he is handsome. She had thought of how awesome it will be if he married Salmah, both of them fit in that regard, snub.

“Please sit” Farhan said still on his feet holding out the chair.

“Okay. I don’t understand a thing here. What’s happening and who is he?” Zahrah sat and pointed at Mubeen.

“Oh! I’m Mubeen, Farhan’s best friend. It’s a pleasure finally meeting you”
Mubeen smiled at her.

Okay. This was getting worse. What does he even mean by “finally meeting you”?
“Can someone explain what’s happening here, I mean, I don’t-” she faced Farhan.

“I’ll just hang around” Mubeen winked at Farhan who was more than nervous. He stood up and left.

“Farhan?” Zahrah called scrutinising him with her eyes. She needed an explanation.

“Na’am. How are you doing Zahrah?” Oh, that wasn’t a good way to start this conversation, he thought.

“I am fine Alhamdulillah?” she reclined a bit and folded her arms, staring at him.