two

“Salmah Eesa, your Daddy wants to speak with you! Salmah Eesa, your Daddy wants to speak with you!” Umaymah sang as she walked to Salmah’s room.

It was their second week in Criterion College and Salmah seemedto be getting along well with her new friend, Umaymah. They happened to be roommates and their bunkswere side by side. Umaymah wasn’t as emotional as Salmah during the first week. She had consoled her during those periods, acting more mature, probably because her brother was also schooling there.

“Salmah! Ah! You can sleep ooo. Any little free time like this, you’ve slept.” She continued to tap her to wake up.
“Mrs Akodu said your Daddy wants to speak with you” She added.

That’s all it took for her eyes to snap open. She scurried through the corridors to the reception. Excitement was an understatement as to what she felt at that moment. She was overly happy. The two weeks she had spent was more like two years away from home. She couldn’t wait to hear from home again. Mrs Akodu handed her the phone and told her to pick the call once her father called back. The phone rang after 3minutes of waiting anxiously. She picked up immediately.

“I miss you so much Daddy!” was the first thing she screamed on the phone. Mrs Akodu was surprised. She had viewed Salmah as the very shy girl that hardly talks. She chuckled as she saw her walk to the compound.

“wa alaykumus salam warahmatullah wa barakatuh my pride”, her dad replied so calmly with a hint of smile in his voice.

“I’m sorry Daddy. Salam alaykum”

“It’s fine dear. How’s my girl doing?”

“I’m very good Daddy. Imiss home so much. I don’t want to stay here again Daddy. They are always shouting and threatening to punish us everytime. Let me just come home for one week, I promise I will come back later. I just want to leave here…” tears pulling through as the sobs clogged her throat.

“Calm down Salmah. You are going to be fine. We miss you so much too. Remember what your Mom tells you, Allah is always with you. Complain to Him when you are sad, Consult Him when you are confused, Gist Him when you are happy. And thank Him for listening always. Okay dear? Pele”

“Okay Daddy. Where is Mom? And Saalim? And Sakeenah?” she wiped her tears with her hijab.

“Oladuni Anike, oko mi, how are you my baby?” her Mom spoke

“I’m very good Mummy”

“How are your studies? How’s the weather? Do you eat regularly? Salmah alenu majeun.”

“Fine ma. I eat very well mummy” she giggled

“Good then. Should we bring more provisions when coming for visiting day? Or do you still have enough?”

“Bring more!” She shouted. “And bring food, rice and chicken, and drinks” she added.

“Okay. Saalim wants to speak with you” she waited for her mom to hand Saalim the phone. They spoke for over 8minutes with Sakeenah joining the conversation. She gisted them on how disciplined the school was and about her new friend. Her mood was elated by the time she ended the call. She picked her tote bag and joined other students in walking to the mosque. Siesta was over and the Asr adhan had been called. Prep was next.

3 years on…

It was a week before the commencement of the BECE examinations. How time flies right? Yeah salmah was in JSS3. She had withstood the storm. She’s used to the rigidity of rules and strict adherence to them. It was a norm now that she so fits in, she wouldn’t have believed. Jameela had been of great help, playing the school mother role. Salmah was a smart pretty girl, who wouldn’t want to famz her? She’s still her shy self though. As she grows, the firm trait she took from her father became obvious. She hardly talks to boys, not even her classmates. Except on rare occasions when it’s absolutely necessary. Some misunderstood it for pride.