seventeen

Few more chapters to go, bi idhnillahi

________________________________________________

“Hello, hello Ademi, are you still there?”

“Yes, what is it again Dunni? I know you miss me, yeah...yeah”

“Yinmu for you, a package was delivered for you. I forgot to tell you the other time.”

“Ehen... who sent it? what’s in it?”

“I don’t know whats in it o, but one Bakare Faariah sent it, as written on it. It says from University of Bath. Funny how names coincide sha. There’s a sister Zaynab in my school who has a sister named Fariah, and their surname is Bakare too.”

“Fariah Bakare? Are you sure? Where’s the package now?”

“Yes. I am. I kept it in Baba’s study already. Who’s she? Your classmate?”

“No, in fact, I’m surprised. She’s a student here though. I have no idea what it could be or why she sent me a package. When was this?”

“Ehen... like four days ago. It escapes my mind every time we talk. How did she get your address? Maybe it’s some documents or lost but found item. You can ask her if she’s still there to put your mind at rest.”

“Alright then. Thanks babe. Good night sugar. See you in few weeks”

“In a month, actually” Salmah laughed and hung up.

Mubeen was terrified; how he was able to act up on phone, he could not explain. What the jahannam was she thinking sending whatever it may be to his house?! What couldn’t she wait for to tell him when she knew he was coming back?! Or was it to spite Salmah? Can Fariah actually go to the extent of ruining his home? Astaghfirullah, she doesn’t look the kind. What else does she want? He had tried his humanly possible way to resolve this as mild as possible. For how long does he actually want to keep this away from her? Their marriage was still too early for storms and wildfires. He should have told her before seeking her consent for marriage. But he could have lost her due to that. He was going to tell her, but not anytime soon. He was glad she didn’t open it, it could have indicted him. What if it was the same Fariah she knew? Allahu akbar! Something he decided to leave back in the UK appears to be catching up on him in Nigeria.

Mubeen made wudu and prayed to Allah to ease his affairs. He read the istighfar over a 100 times. This was a routine for him anytime he remembers that incident and felt helpless. Allah is the Supreme Helper and He takes pleasure in helping His servants. He decided to call Baba the following morning to seek his counsel and help open the package. He really hoped it’s not what he thinks it is.

Mubeen couldn’t sleep till morning. He lay on his bed hoping to catch some rest but his eyes decided against it. For everytime he closed his eyes, he saw the image of a smiling and happy Salmah. He would go to any length to keep that face. Salmah can be a very caring and submissive wife, but Mubeen knew how firm and disciplined she was. She was a no-nonsense lady, and she trusted him whole heartedly. Isn’t this a betrayal? But he had done it before he met her. He could have told her before the Nikah as well. What would be her reaction? How should he put it out to her? This is tough. During the last part of the night, he had observed tahajjud and waited for the Fajr adhan before heading towards the mosque. 

Spending over seven hours in the library, trying to read up for his upcoming exams, Mubeen was drained. He was yet to eat anything for the day. His eyes were soggy as it craved sleep. He stopped at the cafeteria before heading home. His tired was tired. It took him barely five minutes to drift off the moment his heavy body hit the comfort of his bed.