00

——

00 - Train Journeys

——

Charlie Moretti winced as he accidentally bumped his elbow against the wall of the train corridor, hitting his funny bone and causing his arm to get that weird painful, numb feeling.

"Fuuu-" Charlie trailed off when he spotted a small group of first years staring at him with wide eyes. "Fudge sticks."

Someone snorted behind him and then an arm was thrown over his shoulder.

     "Good save Charles." His best friend, Samantha Smith, more commonly known as Sam, said.

     Sam is a Muggleborn Slytherin with dark skin and dark eyes. She's a year older than Charlie and often dyes her hair bright colours. This year it's an interesting choice of bright green that somehow really suits her.

"Don't call me that." Charlie grumbled. He rubbed his elbow as they entered an empty compartment, it was still slightly sore.

"So, how was your holiday?" Sam asked as she sprawled herself on her back across the entire length of the seat opposite him, leaving Charlie to take the other seat.

     "Not great." Charlie replied. He had gotten a belly button piercing with Sam at the end of last year and his Father had been furious when he found out. Charlie had been punished for that, and many other things that were out of his control, for the entire summer holiday.

     Charlie's Dad and older brother, Billy, liked to express their anger through more physical methods. Often using their fists to express their feelings rather than their words, using phrases like "beat the gay out of you" and "curing the freak in you" as excuses.

     Sam frowned and sat up. She knew what his home life was like and she frequently said that he should leave and stay with her and her Mum. Charlie didn't want to be a burden though and always refused, no matter how many times Sam insisted that neither of them would mind.

"How bad was it this time?" Sam asked him quietly, as if someone would somehow hear them even though the door to their compartment was shut.

"Bad." Was the only answer Charlie had. Sam's face darkened with anger.

"I'm sorry. My offer still stands you know, Mum would love to have you. I swear she loves you more than me, she's always going on and on about you. We could all go and get our nails done together and-" Sam trailed off when she saw Charlie's face.

"I'm not allowed to paint my nails anymore." He told her, his face void of any emotion.

Sam frowned, "Why the hell not?"

"Dad said so."

"How will he know? You're at school."

"Have you forgotten about Billy? He'll tell Dad." Charlie said. His voice and face still showed no emotion, which was rare for Charlie because his mother had taught him to show every emotion when she was alive. So he did. The fact that he was showing no emotion told Sam all she needed to know and if it was possible, her face darkened even more.

Sam scowled and practically growled, "I swear to God I'm going to kill that rat one day. I don't care if he's your older brother, if anything that only makes it worse."

     Charlie cracked a small smile, "As much as I would love to see that, please don't as I rather enjoy your company and I don't think you're allowed visitors in Azkaban."