the truth

3rd POV

Five drove across town for what seemed like forever, when in reality it was roughly thirty minutes. He parked the car in an alley way and climbed out cautiously, looking around to ensure he hadn't been followed. Five climbed up the fire escape on the side of the building and craned his neck to try to see through any windows. Once he confirmed this was the right building, he teleported to the hallway on the third floor. Looks like Vanya's wasn't the only appartment he'd be breaking into.

Five examined the numbers on each door before finding the one belonging to the man he was searching for. The man in question, was sitting on his couch in his small living room as the TV played some generic cooking show. Five krept up behind him and quickly grabbed him in a chokehold. The man began to panic, as anyone in that situation would, and flailed his arms around aimlessly.

"You have ten seconds to start telling me everything you know about (Y/n) (L/n) or else I'll snap your neck in two neat peices."

(Y/n)'s brother started to hyperventilate. "S-she... she was my younger sister!" He stuttered between breaths.

"But if I recall correctly that's not what you told her." Five whispered harshly. "Aren't you the one who shoved her into an animal tank?"

"It wasn't my choice," the man cried, "our father... h-he wanted to use her..."

"C'mon, use your big boy words. Use her for what?" Five's tone grew more sinister.

He was well aware he could kill (Y/n)'s brother if he wanted, but of he did, he knew (Y/n) would feel guilty. She always did. (Y/n) didn't have to say anything, but Five knew she blamed herself for what her brother did to her, as if she thought maybe she deserved it.

"E-expiriments? I don't know... I was just a kid! He never told me the details..." (Y/n)'s brother shivered.

Five released him from his grasp and sighed. "Tell me what went down. Why'd you do it?"

(Y/n)'s brother turned around to face Five and let out a hesitant breath. He couldn't tell if he was dreaming or not upon seeing Five in his current form.

"The old man... he was a shit dad. Everyday, when my sister would leave to train, he'd tell me that she was a monster... He said she was going to kill us, that she really had no control over her powers."

Five scowled, "Go on."

"I was a lonely kid, my dad never did love me... so I was willing to do anything it took..." (Y/n)'s brother stopped short of himself, and his eyes fell to his lap in shame. "My sister... she was good to me, and I betrayed her... All these years I've never been able to get rid of the guilt."

"That's right, you sick bastard. And you don't deserve to." Five spat.

"I know, I know. After she broke out and dissapeared, Mr. Hargreeves filled in the blanks and exposed my dad's intentions to the public. He painted this whole heroic story about how you saved (Y/n)..."

"And your old man? Where's he now?"

"Died a pitiful death behind bars. My mom divorced him immediately after the news came out, and no one ever knew about the part I played in all of it..."

So Mr. Hargreeves had gotten justice for (Y/n), huh? Five hated to admit it, but that might've been the only decent thing his father ever did for another person.

Five yawned,"You're lucky it's late and I'm tired as hell. Otherwise I would kill you. Your sister always thought it was her fault, y'know? Now she can rest at ease... thanks." Five hit the larger man in the back of the head, causing him to faint and fall down on the couch.

Five took a quick turn about the room, looking at the picture hung on the wall. One frame in particular held a picture of (Y/n)'s family when she was no older than five or six. Five couldn't bring himself to forgive her brother, but he knew she would once he filled her in on the truth. The poor boy was just a really sad kid who didn't get enough attention, something Five himself could understand.

He took one last look at (Y/n)'s brother before he left. The resemblance was clear to Five, they shared the same (h/n) hair and facial structure. Five recalled when he and his siblings had first been introduced to (Y/n)'s brother at a party hosted by her father. Hargreeves and (Y/n)'s father had encouraged them all to steer away from the boy, but (Y/n), being the kind-hearted sister she was, wouldn't allow for her brother to be left out. He was older than them, but still managed to get along with the Hargreeves siblings nicely.

Five missed that.

By the time he'd arrived back at the academy it was incredibly late and all of the lights inside the house appear to be off. Luther and Pogo were asleep, and Grace sat in her usual seat recharging. Five rubbed his eyes and made his way toward the guest guest room instead of his own. He did his best to open the door as quietly as he could, but creaking caused (Y/n) to lift her head up.

"Five?" She called out, still half asleep.

Five threw his shoes, socks, blazer, and tie to the side and sleepily made his way over to the side of the bed.

"Scoot." He commanded with a yawn.

(Y/n) did so without questioning and turned on her side to face Five. The boy groaned as he climbed into bed beside the girl. He pressed a quick kiss to her forehead, wrapped an arm around his waist, and drifted off to sleep.