not the end

AN: Little shorter than usual, but thats only to wrap up the events. TW for meltdown/breakdown towards the end

3rd POV

(Y/n) shot Five a quick look of confusion that clearly read "Why is she here?" Five shot her back a look of his own that read "Mind your business," and (Y/n) knew it would be best to stay silent. The Handler's gaze focused solely on Five despite being aware of (Y/n)'s position on top of the truck.She lifted her veil and took of her sunglasses.

"Hello, Five."

(Y/n) watched attentively, but remained silent against all of her better judgment. Something seemed off, and she wasn't having any of it.

Five stood across from her silently with his hands in his pockets. His expression was unmoved.

"You look good," The Handler complimented, "all things considered."

Five nodded. "It's good to see you again."

"Five, what's going on?" (Y/n) frowned. Her worry was increasing by the second.

He didn't acknowledge her, but (Y/n) could sense that her sudden words had irked him.

"Feels like we met just yesterday. Course, you two were a little bit older then." The Handler sighed, "Congratulations on the age regression, by the way. Very clever. Threw us all off the scent."

The corners of Five's mouth turned upwards in an amused smile. "Ah well, I wish I could take credit. I just miscalculated the time dilation projection, and— Well, you know, here we are."

"You realize your efforts are futile. So why don't you tell me what you really want?"

The Handler's voice was laced with false sweetness that made (Y/n)'s stomach turn. But what bothered her more was how the two of them were completely ignoring her. It was just really bizarre.

"I want you to put a stop to it." Five crossed his hands behind his back.

"Five," (Y/n) called out in irritation.

"You realize what you're asking for is next to impossible, even for me. What's meant to be is meant to be. That's our raisin dêtre—,"

As The Handler was speaking, Five calmly pulled out a hand gun from the inner pocket of his blazer. "C'mere (Y/n)." He commanded calmly.

(Y/n) frowned, but obeying and swiftly climbed down from the ice cream truck. Five held out his other arm and motioned for her to join him at his side without moving his gaze from The Handler.

"Yeah? Well, how about survival as a 'raison'?" Five smirked.

As (Y/n) came into his arms' reach, he silently wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer to his body. The girl was confused by this, but knowing Five, it was most likely to throw The Handler off rather to be affectionate. However, to Five, having (Y/n) at his side helped lessen the anxieties he was feeling in the moment. He would never admit it, but he was feeling much more sure of himself now.

"I'll just be replaced. I'm but a... small cog in a machine." The Handler said as if she was fine with her current situation. "This fantasy you two have been nurturing about summoning up your family to stop the apocalypse... it's just that."

With every word, The Handler took a step closer to the pair, and Five tightened his grip around (Y/n), fearing she'd attack instinctively.

"A fantasy." The Handler repeated, twirling her fingers for emphasis. "I must say though, we're all quite impressed with your initiative, your stick-to-itiveness, really quite... quite something." For the first time, The Handler turned her gaze to (Y/n). "And (Y/n), you and your determination and—and passion in your work...Which is why we want to offer you two new positions back at the Commission."