smiles all around

AN: *angry author noises* TW for brief mention of drugs because Klaus

3rd POV

As (Y/n) parted ways with Allison and re-entered the Academy, she was met with the sight of Diego and Klaus bickering in the entrance way. Upon seeing Klaus, a weight was instantly lifted off her chest and she felt relieved to know he was alright, for the most part.

"Klaus!" She called out, throwing her arms around his slim build.

He ruffled her hair the way she always used to do to him during their youth, and wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

"(Y/n), tell Diego to stop being a piss-baby and let me catch a ride with him!" Klaus whined.

"A piss-what— I'm not giving you a ride!" Diego huffed, then turned his attention towards (Y/n). "And there's nothing you can say that'll convince me otherwise, you lil' traitor."

In all honesty, Diego's words stung. He'd hardly ever been cross with (Y/n) in their entire lives. She'd seen him lash out at his brothers and sisters many times before, and now that she was older, she knew how to deal with him tantrums.

"I'm sorry, Diego. I didn't train them to kill innocent bystanders, if that's what you think." (Y/n) sighed.

"Who are we talking about?" Klaus asked.

Diego scowled, but said nothing.

"Uhm, okay," Klaus chuckled, "I'm gonna go grab my things~ Try to get along while I'm gone, girls."

While Klaus ran off, (Y/n) contemplated whether to tell Diego about Five's plan. That's right, if she went with him, she could see Five briefly before he left. But why would she say when she saw him? Ask him not to leave? Go with him? Maybe just say goodbye again? It didn't matter at the moment, she needed to focus on Diego.

"Are you going to kill them?" (Y/n) asked timidly.

Sure they were killers and were there to exterminate her and Five, but (Y/n) couldn't find it in her heart to hate them. She'd been with them from the start of their career. (Y/n) helped them move in and get situated, she talked to them about their fears and comforted them whenever they felt homesick, she trained them, and taught them, and watched their skills develop. Cha Cha's heart hardened over time, but Hazel remained the same sweet man he'd always been, even if he had to hide it.

Diego huffed angrily, displeased with (Y/n) hushed tone. It subconsciously reminded him of Vanya, and although he wouldn't admit it, he felt guilty for being cruel to her when she first got back.

"Why? Are you gonna try and stop me?" Diego spat. He grasped (Y/n)'s shoulders and looked her dead in the eye. "We're not twelve, (Y/n), you can't pretend to be mommy and expect us all to listen to you."

"I was never pretending anything, Diego." She said defensively.

Diego laughed dryly, "Oh give me a break— with your baking and stupid head kisses and- and for what? Because we gave you attention? You can't lie to me (Y/n). Ben's not here, and I'm not a child anymore."

"That's enough, Diego." She snapped sternly, sacking him upside the head.

He shut up immediately. I suppose his whole rant was to convince himself of all those things, rather than (Y/n).

"I'm sorry your friend was killed. I really am." (Y/n) continued, "But won't let you take it out on me. For you, it's been seventeen years since we last saw each other, but for me it's been much more."

She paused and her breath began to grow more intense. Her hands clenched into fists and she stared down at her shoes with a placid expression, although Diego could tell she was fuming. In the way she had reminded Diego of Vanya, he was now reminding (Y/n) of her own brother. She genuinely believed he loved her, but when he suddenly switched...