28. That Night pt. 1 (The Worthy)

That night was hectic. The group had hung out and done the stupidest things. Shuri ended up live on YouTube, showing off how dumb (and memeable) the Avengers were. Now, everyone was gathered around in a circle. The main Avengers (And Pepper) where they typically were, with T'Challa, Shuri, Doctor Strange, Wong, Scott, and the Guardians just wherever. Peter was leaning against Tony. He had changed into Tony's old MIT hoodie and sweatpants. Tony had messed up the boy's hair and thrown the hoodie at him, saying it was more comfortable. Now, they were in a circle, Mjölnir sitting on the coffee table, Shuri recording. Thor smiled at everyone.

"Us originals tried this at one point. We're gonna do it again. Now, everyone will come and try to lift Mjölnir. Barton! You'll go first!"

Clint rolled his eyes, setting down his beer. He stood up and pulled on the handle. It didn't budge. Next was Bruce. He lightly pulled and it didn't work. Sam went next, looking bored. It still didn't move. T'Challa, Shuri, Doctor Strange, Wong, Rhodey, and Pepper went. The hammer didn't move an inch. Steve went next. To no one's surprise, he could lift it. He smiled and set it back down. Bucky went next, Thor asking him too. The soldier took a deep breath and closed his eyes, gripping the handle. He lifted up and it nearly smacked him in the face. The others were stunned. Thor beamed.

"You are deemed worthy!"

Bucky smiled, gently setting it back down. Gamora went after Nebula and Peter Quill. It didn't move. Thor smiled at Natasha.

"Why don't you try, Lady Natasha?"

"I already know I'm not worthy, Thor."

"Please just try? For fun?"

The woman sighs, and gets up. She lifts up slightly and it works. She's stunned and confused. Thor and a few others are beaming. Tony smirked.

"Never say never."

Natasha rolls her eyes and sets it down.

"You try then, Mr. Hot-Shot."

Tony rolled his eyes at the nickname and stood up. He gripped the handle, unsure. He took a deep breath and barely pulls up. It comes with. He sees it and his eyes go wide, his hands immediately dropping it. The others are kinda stunned. A few were beaming, especially Peter. He stood up and ran to him, hugging him tight.

"I knew you could lift it!"

Tony's brain realizes everything and hugs the boy back, messing up his hair.

"Thanks, Bambi... For believing in me..."

Peter just beams and sits back down with Tony. The rest of the Guardians and Scott try, failing. Thor nudges Loki.

"You should try brother."

Loki shakes his head.

"Odin put the worthiness spell on it, remember? I could never be worth in the eyes of Odin..."

Thor smiles at him sadly.

"Never say never, right?"

Loki sighs, giving in. He tries to lift it barely. It works. Peter and Thor are beaming. Loki had tears in his eyes. Peter, Tony, and Thor hugged Loki.

"Told ya."

The group separated and Tony smiled at Peter.

"Alright, Kid. Your turn."

Peter's eyes went wide.

"Wait, what?"

"Give it a spin."

"Really!? But I'm not-"

Shuri cut in.

"Peter, you have been here for a while now. You're like an honorary Avenger. You deserve a chance to lift it."

Everyone else hummed, agreeing. Tony smiled, placing a hand on the boy's shoulder.

"If anyone in the world deserves a chance, it's you, Pete."

Peter smiles at his words.

"Okay... I'll try."

Peter walked up to the hammer, carefully gripping it. He pulled up, before everything went black.

(Edit: HE DID NOT DIE!)