Chapter 2

Edited

Nephertiti's POV

Today we're supposed to go to West Lake Academy, yay. Note my enthusiasm. Mr Duncan said we were staying for at least a month so I packed heavily. Glancing at the watch that was gifted to me by Jaxon for my birthday, I hurried through the halls, realizing it was almost seven.

   Jaxon's family was quite rich, even though he didn't act like it. Was that the reason I began speaking to him initially? Maybe. Finally reaching the bus, I searched for Jaxon's dark blue hair. Looking up from his phone, he signalled me to the back of the bus where he sat.

   "Hey," we greeted each other with a nod of our heads.

"You excited?" I asked, plopping down beside him; my feet taking place in his lap and my head leaning on the makeshift pillow behind me.

"That's not the word I would use, more annoyed."

Given the length of the trip, I decided to
I succumbed to the comfort of sleep.

~~~

        I woke up to someone shaking me gently. "Neph, we're here." I blinked rapidly, attempting to adjust to the sudden light and to clear the sleepiness from my eyes. We followed suit behind the rest of the students who were exiting the bus. The moment I stepped off, I had to bite my lip to keep my jaw from dropping.

       This school was magnificent in a Victorian-era way with a splash of modernization. Though I was impressed, I wasn't surprised. Nothing less was expected from a school that held such standards.

    "Not bad, not bad at all," Jhanessa said spinning around, taking it all in.

"Maybe this won't be so horrible," Christian said, glancing at the students passing by. We were interrupted by Mr Duncan and a short bald-headed man.

         "Children, this is Mr Lipschitz; the principal. I expect nothing but respect from you to him, okay?"

He looked over specifically at Harry, glaring at him with stern eyes. Harry, ignoring the look he was receiving, spoke, "Sure Mr Shit Lips."

      Laughs busted out from our small group until we got the same glare from Mr Duncan. Mr Lipschitz on the other hand looked mortified, but Mr Duncan quite used to our unruly behaviour; just rolled his eyes. "For the love of God, behave yourselves. I'll be visiting in two weeks' time to see how you're adjusting. Until then, goodbye and don't kill anyone."

      Salutations were addressed to him and some of us waved good as he walked to his car. Mr Shit Lips cleared his throat reminding us of his forgotten presence.

"Hello, it's a pleasure to have you here. I hope we can have a good time together."

Hums floated through the crowd, and relief flooded through his face.

"Good, your class schedule has been sent to your phones via e-mail. I will lead you to the front office and you will find your way from there."

      "Whatever," Damien muttered. We followed him closely as he told us about the school rules. Rules that we probably won't adhere to.

"Please control your urges to fight, we have no tolerance for violence."

Jhanessa scoffed, "If none of those bitches even breath in a way I don't like, best believe I'm finna throw hands."

    "Nessa, please refrain from beating anyone up," Ava pleaded, a copy of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters clutched to her ample chest. You must be wondering how a sweet little thing like her ended up with us. She's a very nice person, too nice of a person. But when she snaps, dear lord she is a completely different human.

        Fortunately, all eight of us had most classes together. It was pretty easy for us to find our way because of the signs on the wall and directions everywhere. We were, obviously, getting shit loads of stares. Jaxon got quite a few. I mean, I don't blame them. He was quite the looker.

        "Well, we're here and fifteen minutes late. Please be nice," Ava pleaded with us.

"We'll try," said Damien. Not. Pushing the door open, we stepped inside. Everybody looked our way. The teacher acknowledged us first. Forcing her mouth into a tight-lipped smile, she addressed us.

"You guys are finally here. I'm Mrs Claire, your English teacher; take a seat anywhere you feel comfortable."

     There were quite a lot of students, but we sat at the back. I situated myself between Jhanessa and Jaxon.

"Would you look to introduce your selves to the class?" Mrs Claire asked, sitting on the edge of her desk with folded arms.

Looking her straight in the eyes Damien answered. "No, thank you."

        Ava spoke up. "What he meant was, no problem, ma'am." She glared at us until I sighed. "Fine, I'm Nephertiti."

"I'm Ava."

"Jaxon."

"I'm Christian."

We all stared at Elijah, waiting. I rolled my eyes, doing it for him. "That's Elijah, he doesn't talk much." Elijah just raised his eyebrow and turned to look out the broad glass window. It wasn't that he was rude, he just didn't feel comfortable speaking around people he wasn't familiar with; it made him nervous.  She proceeded with whatever she was doing prior to our arrival.

        "You guys didn't miss out on much, we were just talking about a group project."

"Is that necessary? Can't it be done individually?" I complained. There was nothing I hated more than group work, maybe because that meant depending on people and I wasn't good with that.

"Yes, it is. Think of it as preparation for the future. The groups will be pairs of two. When you hear your name please go to your partner and rearrange the desks however you'd like."

    She started to call names. "Jhanessa Brown and Camelia Baxter."

      A cute redhead with horrible purple glass got up. Jhanessa and I shared a look, "I'm going to have fun with this one," she said. Gender wasn't an issue for her, she just rolled with whatever. Jaxon got paired with some cheerleading chick. He shrugged and looked at me, "She has a nice rack."

Ava got paired with some jock. Christian, got his wish and got paired with some Zac Efron look alike. Elijah got paired with emo and Damien got a blonde bimbo, much to his pleasure.

          I was the only one without someone. Then I finally heard my name. "Nephertiti Micheals and Alexander Carson." Glancing up uninteresting, I saw a tall skinny guy in glasses and a  green hideous sweater. As he walked closer I realized how hot he was.

Despite the ugly sweater, you could see that he had a nice build; muscle, but not too much. And sweet baby Jesus, he had the deepest blue eyes I have ever seen.

~~~

      He walked over and sat down on the chair previously occupied by Jaxon. "H-hi, I'm Alexander." Awww, he stuttered. Just my type.

"Hello Alexander, I'm Nephertiti," I held out my hand for a handshake, and he reluctantly took it, shaking timidly. He honestly looked scared, intimidated even.

"What? Do you think I'm ugly, is that why you're staring so hard?" I teased, leaning back with my hands behind my head.

His captivating eyes widened with panic. "N-no, you're very hard to not look at." I raised a brow, intrigued.

"I-I mean you are beautiful and I didn't mean to offend yo—" Laughing, I decided to put him out of his misery. "Calm down, I'm just fucking with you."

          He visibly relaxed. We turned when we heard Mrs Claire speak up. "Today you guys can get a little more acquainted with each other, tomorrow we discuss the project."