Chapter 14

Edited.

Nephertiti's POV

I looked up and froze. Great, just what I needed to make my night even more shitty. I saw my father, Elias.

Realizing it was him, I stood up and smiled, pretending not to know him. "I'm sorry sir, have a good night." I was wishing he wouldn't recognized me, but that was hopeless, considering I resembled him so much.

"Nephertiti, please. Just a few minutes," he pleaded.

"Fine, five minutes. And make it quick."

"I know sorry isn't going to fix anything-"

"You got that right."

"Let me finish, please." I sighed, gesturing for him to continue.

"I know I haven't been the ideal parent, but if you could just give me a chance; I swear I'll try my best to do what I didn't do before. To be a good father." I was going to decline, but then I remembered what Eli said.

"Actions speak louder than words, so you'll have do rather than say."

"I'm okay with that. Can we meet up? No pressure though. You can take as long as you want."

I wanted to say no, but I could remember pieces of the times that he was a good father, when he cared. When we use to feed the ducks at the park and watch Disney movies all night.

"Give me your number, I won't promise anything, but I'll try."

"That's perfectly fine with me. You can take all the time you want," he answered.

Turning, I walked away and searched for Walter.

~~~

The next morning as Eli and I were walking around campus to kill time, I explained last night to him.

"I thought the night couldn't get any worse, but then I saw my father," I sighed.

"How do you feel? About everything," he said softly.

"I feel angry, hurt and tired at the same time. Not a the fact that he lied to me, but at the fact that he didn't tell me sooner. It hurts, Eli. It fucking hurts, and I don't want to push him away but I can't help it," I let out in one breath.

Elijah turned to me, held my head in his hands and pressed his forehead against mine.

"Nephertiti Micheals, I want you to listen to me carefully. I know that you're afraid of feeling the same pain you did when you lost your mom, but you have to remember that you're not the only one who's hurting. So talk to him before it's too late."

"I'll try my best, what if he doesn't want me back after last night?" I questioned, voice breaking.

"He will, you have no idea how much that boy loves you," Elijah reassured.

"What I would do without you, Eli?"

He chuckled with mirth, "Probably curl up and die like a worm." I laughed.

"Wow. Thanks for the vote of confidence."

Wrapping an arm around my shoulder he laughed "Anytime, love."

~~~

Music class was boring today, but I was glad it was the last class of the day. And it didn't help that Amanda, Aaron and Xander were in the class also. Ms Martin, our teacher, was a sweet little old woman, who was asking for volunteers. Today we were supposed to do a talent. So kindergarten, I know. But she wanted us to do it anyway.

Imagine to my, and everyone else's surprise, when when Xander stood up. I think Ms. Martin was quite frightened too. He usually didn't like attention and tried his best to stay away from it.

"Alexander dearie, what are you planning to do?" She questioned with a sweet smile. Before he could reply, Aaron cut in with an obnoxious laugh.

"Probably recite the periodic table for us." And of course, Amanda and her friends laughed.

Then he turned to Aaron and said something that shook us all.

"Unless you want another broken bone, I strongly suggest you shut the fuck up," he said, venom lacing his voice. Holy Mother of Mary. And the look on Aaron's face was to die for.

Going to the piano, he said down and stared into my eyes from across the room; and then began to play. The soft tone of Someone You Loved drifted throughout the classroom, capturing the attention of everyone.

Oh. My. God. He can sing. How did I not know this before?

Eyes still locked with mine, he continued to sing, his long fingers floating over the piano keys with elegance.

The soft sound of his voice felt like a stab to my heart, and guilt weighed down on me like an elephant.
Was my reaction necessary? Fuck, I wouldn't forgive me at this point.

He ended the song and everyone sat there, mouth agape until Ms. Martin broke the silence with her voice.

"That was absolutely beautiful Alexander, simply exquisite," she praised his voice. And then everyone started clapping while I sat there, wishing the ground would open and swallow me.

I waited outside for him as he was showered with compliments that he humbly accepted. Once he was at the door, I stepped before him.

"Hi, Xander. Can we talk, please?" I said in a small voice.

"S-sure, let's go to my place."

And as he looked at me with that glimmer of hope in his eyes, I knew I had to make this right.