6 | interview with a killer.

"I love what you've done with the place," Chan exclaimed dryly as Woojin lead him into his office. "It's just as depressing as the last time I came 'round."

The police captain shot the detective a dirty look before collapsing into his chair, letting out a sigh. Like most offices, Woojin's had windows that lead into the hallway, but he kept those blinds drawn tightly shut. Only the windows behind him let in a weak strain of sunlight. His desk was neat and organised – he made a point of keeping it that way– but the mountain of untouched documents and case files piled at the top was beginning to make him uneasy.

Unlike the other police officials, Woojin didn't keep any pictures or personal, sentimental items in his workspace; framed pictures of past police captains lined the walls, and a potted plant that desperately needed watering sat in the corner. He didn't feel the need to bring in any family photos, since his own father and mother's faces – the former head and chief of police – were already displayed around the precinct.

"I'd like to pay your office a visit, Chan," Woojin replied, carding his fingers through his cropped black hair. "Drowning in unfiled paperwork and empty coffee cups, I'm sure."

"I like my office just fine, thanks very much," Chan protested, before flashing a cheeky smile. It gave Woojin a twinge of annoyance and fondness – the kind of mixture you only got from long-time friends. "All the cold cases keep me warm."

Woojin laughed before gesturing for his friend to sit down, growing serious. "A killer walks among us, Detective Bang. This is a very serious–" Chan had picked up two stray pencils from Woojin's desk and was trying to balance them on top of one another. "Bang Chan!"

Chan sighed, sitting back. "I'll catch him for you, no problem. You know it scares me when you call me Detective Bang?"

Woojin shook his head. "We've got no leads, and the only witness..." he flipped through his notebook, fingers landing on the bookmarked page named Yang Jeongin. "...is in a coma. The crimes occur on-campus, or just outside the gates before curfew. For all we know, the killer could be a kid everybody knows."

Chan nodded. "We're still investigating the correlations between the victim of the fire and the incident this morning, but they're definitely there. Signs of brute force, 'round the same age, and, 'course, occurring within the same time frame. I'm waiting for the documentation and coroner's results, but I'm filing this as a serial killer case for sure."

"Alright. No witnesses have come forward, and no incriminating evidence was found at both scenes –" Woojin sighed, massaging his temples. "Keep your eyes peeled, Detective."

"I'll start on the case file as soon as I head back. And you–" Chan cast a meaningful look at the mountain of paperwork on Woojin's desk, "seem to have a lot of light reading ahead of you, too." He chuckled and turned, hearing the young police captain groan as he shuffled through the papers.

As soon as he stepped out of the office, Chan's playful smirk dropped from his face, eyes narrowed and serious. He turned to the younger member of the homicide department, who had been waiting for him at the door. "Get me an Americano, please. With four shots of espresso."

"Four shots? Sir, I don't think–"

"Make that five," the blond detective mused, snapping his notebook shut and walking briskly out of the precinct, the flustered intern barely keeping up behind him. "I got a case on my hands, and I don't plan on sleeping until it's solved."

────────

Woojin watched the detective – his best friend, though he seldom admitted it – leave, that familiar assured, determined air in his stance. It was something that always put Woojin at ease, the confidence with which Bang Chan took on a case; it was what kept Woojin calling on him every time he hit a dead end. Bang Chan was like a wild card, a dark horse of a detective that could flip a cold case completely upside down.