14 | monsters and men.

The interrogation room held a chill that seeped deep into Jisung's bones.

Across from him, the woman — prosecutor — that had been questioning him tapped her fingers on the table's cold steel surface, her thinning lips the only indication of her growing impatience. They had been sitting for over an hour now — granted, there was no clock on the room's bare walls, so Jisung could only guess — and he hadn't spoken a single word.

"Staying silent isn't going to help your case, you know," the woman reminded him for what seemed like the thousandth time. She had curling brown hair and tired eyes — it seemed to Jisung like a recurring trait amongst law enforcement workers — and a thin line of a mouth.

She had been nice enough, reading him his rights and asking questions calmly, but Jisung just couldn't will his lips to move. He'd been absently studying the handcuffs clasped tight around his wrists with his head bowed. Kang had grudgingly called in a physician to perform first aid on the numerous cuts on his body — including the shallow stab wound above his hip the blonde man had inflicted — and after spending hours in the cold interrogation rooms the sharp aches of pain had eventually grown numb. Every word they spoke to him sounded as if it were in another language, bouncing off before they reached his ears, as if Jisung was enclosed in a muddled, soundproof bubble.

They had brought in a psychologist, too, after he'd stayed silent for an hour — a stout man with watery blue eyes whose tone was too warm for Jisung's liking.

"On a scale of 1-10, how are you feeling?"

"Can you tell me what's going on in your head right now?"

"I'm here to help you, kiddo — cooperate with me a bit."

But another hour dragged by, and so the prosecutor had returned.

Jisung's mind kept wandering — to the sickly warm feeling of blood, your blood pooling onto his shaking hands, your blood drained face on the hospital cot, Chan's feverish eyes as he'd held onto Jisung's slack shoulders with a fatherlike sort of firmness.

Just as the woman let out a sigh of defeat, the metal door behind Jisung swung open with a screech. Behind his golden spectacles, Prosecutor Kang's beady eyes darted from Jisung's empty expression to the woman's tired one and scowled.

"He's still refusing to talk?"

The woman nodded. Jisung felt the weight of their stares boring into his head. Kang jerked his head towards the door and the woman stood to leave as the older prosecutor took her place across the table.

"You're holding out longer than I thought." When Jisung didn't react, Kang continued with a smirk, "Though I suppose I would expect nothing less from a cold-blooded killer."

Killer. The note of truth in the word stabbed through Jisung's gut like a switchblade.

"Well, boy, you're sly, I'll give you that —" Kang narrowed his eyes, "But I'm warning you now, we've already gathered enough incriminating evidence. DNA from the crime scenes, CCTV footage — you're only a couple of lab tests away from a guilty conviction, Han Jisung."

He was lying, Jisung knew he was — lying to get him to panic and talk. Minho had long since erased all fingerprints and disposed of all evidence, after all. Jisung had watched him do it with his own eyes.

Scowling at Jisung's silence, Kang stood suddenly and slammed his hands onto the metal table, sending the pad and pen skittering. He leaned in closer, his voice a rancid whisper. "Talk or not, you're not going to be leaving police custody anytime soon. I've seen cases like yours. You look all—innocent—on the outside—" Kang's eyes were almost pitying, his tone condescending— "But deep down, inside? You're fucked up to the core, and you know it, too. You know you're a defect of society — so why are you trying so hard to pretend that you're normal?"