16 | the prisoner's dilemma. [FINALE]

Jisung was still frozen in place long after the heavy doors had swung shut and erased your face from his sight. His own hand felt foreign as he held it against his stinging cheek, the dull throbbing drowned out by the words still ringing in his ears.

Your friends want you to stay alive. Your mother wanted you to stay alive.

I need you to stay alive.

Bang Chan was watching him from the side, the detective's eyes filled with equal parts amusement and wariness. Finally, he spoke. "You deserved that, you know."

Jisung was silent, but his mind was already replaying the scene over and over again. Your anxious eyes, your voice trembling with the effort to stay steady. The slap couldn't compare to the pain that had etched itself into your features every time he had spoken harshly, trying again and again to push you away. I know I did.

Chan sighed. "How are you feeling?"

A soft laugh escaped from Jisung's dry mouth. "Dizzy," he deadpanned honestly. The adrenaline was beginning to die down, but instead of leaving him sick in the stomach and with a pounding headache like usual, Jisung felt almost...lightheaded with relief. "Like...like a kid that just got told off?"

The detective chuckled, letting out his low, signature whistle. "What'd I tell you? That's love, mate."

Jisung looked at him now, incredulous. "Getting slapped in the face?"

"No," Chan smiled, but for once, his eyes were serious. "Someone who cares about you enough to call you out when you're wrong."

Not knowing what to say, Jisung turned away, letting the ticking of the clock on the wall fill the strained silence. He could still feel Chan's gaze on him, but it was no longer the look of a detective trying to dissect a case file. Instead, it held the same strange softness it had when Chan had pulled Jisung aside at the Third Eye, and asked if he was okay.

"I told you once," Chan began slowly, "that everyone deserves to be loved, and that you're no different. Of course, things have...changed," he continued, and Jisung looked down, throat tight as he waited for Chan to finish. "But I still stand by what I said."

Before Jisung could reply, the intercom crackled overhead. "The court hearing for Han Jisung and the Miroh Heights Murder Cases will be resuming in five minutes. All attorneys, jurors, and participants in the trial, please report to the courtroom immediately—"

"Detective, you should get going," a security guard spoke lowly to Chan, who sighed and nodded, pulling himself to his feet. As he passed where Jisung was standing, he stopped briefly.

"You're a good kid, Han Jisung. Even if you don't believe it yourself...you had better start to."

"Chan—"

The detective had reached the door when he looked over his shoulder at Jisung. He had the same old mischievous smile on his face again, but his eyes were sad.

"I hope we can grab another coffee together some time, yeah?"

━━━━━━━━

Seungmin's head was spinning as he pushed through rooms packed with spectators and reporters until he finally stumbled into an emptier hallway. His eyes gleaned the plaques on the doors, searching for the room number the court clerks had given him after Seungmin had overheard their frantic conversation.

"We can't just end the case here — the media and people'll riot."

"But we've lost a witness and the lead prosecutor of the case in one day — how the hell is the trial supposed to continue?"