12 | point of no return.

"Well, well, well — look what the cat dragged in."

Kim Seungmin winced at the sound of Prosecutor Kang's haughty voice as soon as he stepped into the office. The older prosecutor's words had made all the others look up from their desks, directing several pairs of eyes onto the younger man, who was actively trying his best not to tuck his head down and fold in on himself to avoid their scrutiny. To Seungmin's dismay, Kang continued speaking.

"If it isn't our newest prosecutor. How are you holding up, Kim? I heard there have been more attacks — a witness, even. Shameful, really, how they had to call a lockdown just to keep things under control."

Seungmin swallowed a lump in his throat, forcing his jaw to unclench. "We've—been actively gathering evidence." While it was true — Chan and Woojin had called him to the precinct in the middle of the night to preserve witness statements, and he'd spent the last few days searching through Miroh Heights for clues — the words sounded incredibly lame nonetheless. Sure enough, Kang snorted, and a few other prosecutors shifted uncomfortably.

"What kind of evidence, Kim? Enlighten me."

"The suspicion has been placed on Miroh Heights' students after interviewing the last witness. And we have reason to suspect that the perpetrator is mentally unstable, or at least harbours some sort of...trauma, due to the erratic selection of their victims." Seungmin cleared his throat, hoping his voice didn't sound as nervous as he felt. He had only repeated what he'd theorised together with Chan and Woojin, after all.

"I'm just finding it strange — embarrassing, really — how it seems like you're getting everything handed to you, Prosecutor Kim, and yet you're still taking this long to reach a verdict." Kang raised an eyebrow. "Seems to me you're hesitant? Indecisive, or uncertain?"

"Beginner's nerves, perhaps?" One woman piped up, and a few workers around her stifled their chuckles.

Seungmin clenched his fists, hoping the others couldn't see. "Dealing with a mentally unstable serial killer calls for a different approach, Kang. We have to keep into consideration how accountable they are to be held for their actions, and—"

"There is no room for a wavering heart in prosecution," Kang interrupted coldly, his eyes two black daggers. "What you think is being kind or empathetic is a weakness, kid. Focus on the incriminating evidence, not the humanity in the perpetrator — after all," he gave a leer, "anyone who murders humans is a monster — and monsters deserve to be punished, don't you think?"

There were a few murmurs of agreement, and Seungmin ripped his gaze from Prosecutor Kang's expectant face.

"I assure you, that is what I intend to do." With that, Seungmin brushed past Prosecutor Kang, suddenly grateful that his office was further down the hallway. The woman who had tried speaking up for him on his first day flashed him a sympathetic look as he passed, but it only made him feel worse. Was he really that...weak? Incompetent?

If catching this killer and condemning them was what it took to get Prosecutor Kang off his back, then that was exactly what Seungmin would do. He shut the door to his office, a bit harder than he meant to, and opened his briefcase on his desk, organizing his notes.

It was time to hunt a killer.

━━━━━━━━

All was quiet when Jisung awoke, eyes blinking as they opened and adjusted to the hazy morning light. He was in a room with off-white ceilings and walls, and the dusty blue curtains were open, fluttering lightly from a soft breeze. His even breathing filled the air — for the first time in what seemed like forever, he hadn't had nightmares. His eyes wandered to the windows, wincing slightly — it was a cloudy day, the kind where looking at the grey sky stung his eyes. Aside from the light wind, the room was absolutely still. Almost as if it was holding its breath.