7 | seeing ghosts.

You unlocked the door to your apartment and stepped in, the space as dark and cool as a tomb.

You made a beeline for your room and chucked your bag onto the desk, rummaging through your closet for a comfortable hoodie. With a relieved sigh, you flicked on your table lamp and let the warm glow soften the darkness. The sun had gone down during your walk home, the busy sounds of the city hushed by the chirping of crickets and the rustle of the evening breeze. Jisung had held your hand the whole time – two or three of his fingers gently hooked around yours and lightly swinging back and forth as you walked.

He had waved you goodbye from the stairwell – heart-shaped smile and all – but even as you propped open your laptop and shuffled through your notes, the feeling of his fingers lingered on your skin. You felt the blood rush to your face as Jisung's voice – soft and achingly vulnerable – echoed in your ears.

Promise...you'll never leave me?

You slammed your notebook down with unnecessary force, violently shaking your head as if trying to fling the thoughts away. Damn it, y/n. Focus! The notes you had scribbled looked as if they were falling off the lines of the paper. With a deep breath and a light slap to your own cheek, you began typing them up.

Patient: Han Jisung

Age: 20

Memories and short bits of dialogue flashed in your mind as you read over the papers.

Session One.

Patient has undergone mandatory psychological evaluations in the past, in educational institutions.

Mentions racing thoughts, rapid heartbeat, and possibly palpitations when in the presence of the therapist. **(May simply be conversational and therefore unreliable).

Suffering from nightmares as of late; sleep problems. Appears uneasy when speaking about said problems.

End of session.

You frowned. Straightforward enough. Slightly strange, if read out of context – but nothing that stuck out in particular. Biting your lip and shrugging, you flipped to the notes from today.

Session Two.

Questions were focused on family and childhood. Patient looked

Your fingers stalled on the keyboard, Jisung's expression from earlier flooding your memory. How his eyes had widened like a deer in headlights' when you'd asked about his family. And – had you been imagining it? – they way his voice had wavered when he finally answered. Frowning, you shook your head – no, no. You were probably just overanalyzing things, right?

Still, you found yourself typing out the one detail that had always been nagging at the back of your mind –

Patient looks upset at any mentions of family and childhood

At this, you hesitated again. You had barely known the boy for two weeks. There were things that Jisung wasn't telling you about his childhood, that was for sure – but wasn't it normal not to know everything about each other yet? And it's not like Jisung comes from a broken family or something, you thought. After all, he did say that his mother loved –

You froze.

Slowly, as if like a ghost was whispering in your ear, you felt an icy cold chill trickle down your spine, Jisung's hollow voice echoing in your mind.

"My mother...like I said, she loved unconditionally. Patient, nurturing, kind...everything, well, you could ever want from a mother."