Chapter 5: the hunt

Previously on Douxie x OC

"You little dungeon break must have changed fate. Now, unless I stop, the king will die!" Merlin said and left.

-----------------------

Mailins PoV:
The next day early at dawn everyone got ready to set out to the woods.

Father had ordered my past self to stay in the castle, where she'd be safe.

So now here I am, in a horse stable, wearing a cloak with the hood over my head so father won't recognize me. I'll stay at the back of the hunt party, and be inconspicuous, like Douxie says.

Claire walks up to us "They're hunting Jim! If they catch him, he'll be killed!"

"I know, and he's not the only one." Douxie says.

"Because of us, Arthur's now fated to eat the big one, too!" Douxie explains and looks at me sympathetically as I hung my head low sadly.

"Eat the what? Oh, no, was I supposed to bring food?" Steve asks as he enters the stable as well.

"He'll be eating a death sandwich, Steve." Douxie clarifies.

"Ugh, who would eat that? Gross." Steve says.

Douxie groans annoyed "Look. If Arthur dies, we lose the Battle of Killahead and the war."

"Which would probably mess up time so much, you'll never be able to return home." Archie says.

We gasped when we saw in the Time Map our future vanishing. A different timeline appeared.

"What's that?" Claire asks.

"Well- well that wasn't there before. It's a new timeline, one where Arthur and Jim live." Douxie explains happily.

"And Morgana's the hero?" Claire asks skeptically "I thought she was destined to become Mistress Doom."

"It looks like there's a possibility, if we get Arthur and Morgana to reconcile, then, somehow, nobody dies." Douxie explains.

"Well, that's great news!" I say cheerfully.

"I'll keep an eye on Morgana. Douxie, you work on Arthur. And, Steve, make sure they don't kill my boyfriend." Claire instructs.

"What should I do?" I ask.

"I'm still not very fond that you want to come with us. Are you really sure about that love?" Douxie asks me worriedly.

"Yes, I want to help! I can't just sit by and do nothing!" I say determined.

Douxie sighs "alright love, just be careful, don't let Arthur find out who you are. Remember he thinks you're in your room."

I nod and we exit the stable. Douxie was about to mount his horse "Okay, Arch, Mailin, Let's save history- Whoa!" He was pulled off by Merlin and the horse ran off.

"Oh, no, you don't, boy." Merlin says warningly.

"But, Master Merlin, I can help!" Douxie argues "I'm 900 years smarter, tougher-"

"900 years crazier, clearly." Merlin adds "I must focus on protecting the King's life." Merlin lifts the levitation spell and let Douxie fall into a barrel.

"Merlin, please, I want to protect father too. Let us help!" I say.

"No, it's your fault in the first place he's in danger!" Merlin takes a deep breath before he  continues "...I'm sorry Mailin. So, I'm taking an apprentice who won't mess up the fabric of time." Merlin says and past Douxie walks up to him with two horses.

"L-let's do this, Master!" Past Douxie says enthusiastically.

"Him?" Douxie asks in disbelief "But he's just a moppet with a man bun!"

"A cute man bun." I grin while patting past Douxie on the head who smiles dreamily at me.

"Someone's jealous they don't get to ride the horse." Past Douxie sing-songs and rode on the horse backwards.

Fanfares play and I quickly pull the hood over my head as I hear my father's voice.

"It's time we root out every last enemy in our lands." Father says and everyone rides off.

Douxie struggles in the barrel, falls over and slides out and onto the ground.

I hear Father and the knights chant "Death to all Trolls!"

Douxie and I hide behind the barrel Steve is pulling and Douxie knocks his past self out again.

"You do know that repeat sleep spells can cause memory loss permanently." Archie explains.

"Huh, don't remember that. No matter." Douxie says with a grin. I couldn't help but giggle.

Douxie jumps on the horse. He holds out his hand and helps me sit up behind him.

He blushes when I put my arms around his waist. I giggle "you're so cute."

"Let's Go! The king needs us!" Douxie says and we charge after the hunting party to catch up.

We catch up with Merlin as they chase after the trolls they sighted.

"Merlin! Merlin, you have to look at the Time Map!" Douxie says to Merlin as we ride next to him "We found-"

Merlin cuts Douxie of annoyed "You! You defy my command when the King's life is in jeopardy? Need I remind you that we trespass in Gunmar's territory?" Merlin rides ahead and we follow him.

"But, Master, I found a new line of fate! We can save everyone if we get Arthur and Morgana-" Douxie tries to explain but cuts himself off because he has to stop the horse.

We're right in front of Gunmar's territory, the part of the woods that are dark, thick and covered in fog.

I get and eerie feeling and a shudder goes down my back.

"They've entered the Wild Wood." Father states "Abandon the horses. We head on foot." Father commands.

Douxie and I ride up to Merlin.

"Changing fate is never that simple. I'll deal with you later." Merlin says with a scowl "What's most important is that I keep Arthur safe from harm."

"He is my father! I want to keep him safe from harm as well Merlin!" I say angrily.

Merlin ignores me, dismounts and follows Father and the knights.

"Forget him, stick to the plan." Douxie commands Claire and me.

"I'll take the king." He adds.

"And I'll cover Morgana." Claire says. We all dismount as well and follow the hunting party.

"And lets just focus on getting these royal siblings to hug and make up." I say and take Douxies hand.

"And not die." Claire adds.

"Uh, yes, that, too." Douxie squeezes my hand comfortingly as he notices my voice quiver.

"Don't worry. We can do this!"