𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘴.

»»————-  ————-««𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐓𝐇 𝐇𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐒»»————-  ————-««

»»————-  ————-««
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐓𝐇 𝐇𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐒
»»————-  ————-««

"I JUST CAN'T WITH THIS DINNER. Every time my dad gets a new girlfriend, they just get younger and dumber," Mia complains.

"What kind of car does her drive again?" Lake asks playfully, and Mia laughs sarcastically.

"So, if you're meeting the girlfriend Friday, does that mean you can't come to the game?"

Mia reassures Victor that she can do both. "Lake and (Y/N), here, are coming with me to the dinner so they can get us out of it early"

Felix asks how and (Y/N) replies. "Oh, uh, she's the excuse queen, so..."

Victor asks what that means, as if it wasn't obvious enough already. (Y/N) is about to speak up again before Lake decides it's showtime. "Oh, my god. Uh, you guys, my little brother just swallowed a golf ball, and now he's in the hospital"

Victor and Felix seem genuinely worried while Mia and (Y/N) just watch them and smile to themselves. "She's the excuse queen" (Y/N) says smirking and Lake smiles at her.

"Oh, my god. You're like, the next Judi Dench"

Lake looks at Felix confused and (Y/N) whispers in her ear. "Old Deuteronomy from that terrible Cats movie" Lake still doesn't know what she's talking about, so (Y/N) just drops it. No way was she going to be able to explain celebrities who aren't social media start to Lake.

Mia explains how all her dad's girlfriends are terrible people. She started with a sob story about her drunk mother, which clearly made everyone uncomfortable. Way to make it weird, Mia. "Sorry. We had good banter going. Did I kill it? I killed it."

(Y/N) mumbles a "yes you did" and Victor starts talking about how sorry he is for Mia. Lake adds in how she thought Mia's mom was the coolest, and that was basically the end of their lunchtime conversation.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

After school on Friday, the three head to Mia's house to set up for Dinner. "Now remember, get in, get out. Meet Harold's new playmate. Smile blankly as she shows us pictures of her Chihuahuas that are probably names after Bachelor contestants. Hear about how she's thinking of starting a new jewelry line"

Lake interrupts Mia's rant. "And at eight on the dot, I'll excuse queen out way straight to Victor's game. #NotMyFirstRodeo"

That's when the doorbell rings, and Mia's dad goes to open the door. All three of them look around the corner to see... a woman his age. Mia remarks on how she's so not his type, and Lake says she must be great in the sack.

"Why would you say that?"

"What? An older woman knows how to do things a young woman doesn't. You know, in the baño"

(Y/N) corrects her, "Dormitorio is the word you're looking for. Baño means bathroom"

"Ooh. Kinky"

(Y/N) sighs and Mia's dad comes over to them to introduce. Her name is Veronica and when she goes in for a hug, Mia stiffens up. Veronica runs the Global Women's Advancement Initiative, it's a nonprofit that supports women through economic and social initiatives. Like they couldn't figure that out from the name.

"She's out there, trying to make the world a better place. That's one thing I love about her" Harold says sweetly but it looks like Mia is gritting her teeth and tensing up her entire body.

At dinner, her dad tells them about how he and Veronica met. Lake is enjoying the stories because she's a sucker for sweetness and (Y/N) was sitting politely, not wanting to be as open as her sister, but also not wanting to be as closed off as her friend.

Mia says they need to clear the plates as an excuse to get away from them. Mia, (Y/N), and Lake walk into the kitchen, hands full, and start gossiping.

"Why were you laughing at her? That was mildly humorous, at best," Mia asks Lake.

"I don't know. She's charming and age appropriate. I thought you'd be glad she's not some 20-something floozy who thinks Kamala Harris is a Real Housewife" Lake replies.

(Y/N) adds, "Yeah, and you were the one who was acting cold and on edge"

"Do you wanna bail early?"

"No, I don't want to leave just yet. I wanna find out what her deal really is" Mia carries the dessert into the dining room on a tray with (Y/N) and Lake following warily behind her.

When they get to the table, Mia sits down harshly and starts interrogating Veronica. Asking, "Have you ever been married? Were you addicted to pills? Ever have any children? How many partners have you not had children with?" The situation was getting more than uncomfortable when Mia's dad yells at her and Lake says her house has monoxide.

"I wish you would replace my mother because then you wouldn't even be here" Mia gets up from the table and storms off. She drops a purse into the trash and leaves the house.

(Y/N) compliments Mr. Brooks before following Mia out the door. Lake stops to grab the purse out of the trash first.

They walk through the doors of the gymnasium to very loud cheerleaders and overexcited parents.

"So are we gonna talk about that dinner?" (Y/N) asks, "And how jealous daughter is not a good look on you?"

Mia keeps walking without looking at her. "No. We're here to support Victor and have fun. Go, Grizzles!" She says in a very tense voice.

The team runs out onto the court and (Y/N) cheers from her spot on the bleachers. "Those must be Victor's parents. At least one of us has a normal family, " Mia sighs.

Lake turns back to look at them while still clapping. "Ooh. Mom keeps it tight and Dad has a full head of hair. That bodes so well for your someday babies"

"Lake, they're in 10th grade" Lake shrugs off (Y/N) and they move their attention back to the ongoing game.

Victor keeps missing the ball and missing shots. He was already starting to look overwhelmed, but when the referee calls him for travelling, he explodes. Victor is yelling at everyone.

"This is bullshit!" he yells and storms out of the gym. The entire room is silent, and he doesn't come back for the rest of the game.