Chapter Ten.

"Honey," My mom knocks from outside my door. "Zach's taking you to school today." She announces.

As soon as my brain registers the words, my body jolts up in the blink of an eye. Woah, my brain feels like it's on a merry-go-round. I blink off my dizziness and ask my mom to repeat her statement.

"Hon, I'm too busy to take you. Zach volunteered. Plus your school is close to Ryan and Reese's school." A groan bubbles from my lips. I quickly end it before my mom hears. After waiting a couple of minutes, I finally get up and get ready. I shower as I eye my hair products warily.  There's no way...Right? I shut my eyes as I lather the products on my hair before rinsing it out. I take a peek at the tub floor to see only white foam coming from my hair. He's smart enough to know better, at least.

Ten minutes later, I'm dressed and start to head down the doors before I receive a text from Bryan.

Bryan: Would you feel bad for me if I told you... I almost died last night.

Brie: Do I even wanna know? Actually, don't answer that because the answer is no to both questions.

Bryan: Oh, how you say the sweetest things to me.

Brie: My mom always tells me to spread kindness...But I don't listen.

Bryan: Who would've thought???? Well, I'll text you once I get back from school. I have to take some weirdo to school.

Brie: I have a weirdo taking me to school. But farewell, kind sir.

Bryan. Okay, Shakespeare 🙄

I pocket my phone and finish walking down the stairs, just in time to see Zach on his phone with a ghost of a smile on his lips. "Aw, are you texting your girlfriend?" I have no idea where that confidence came from because, in reality, I'm about to shit my pants. The reason is, I haven't endured a prank in the past few days. The only two plausible explanations are A; He's planning something really big and really good. B; He decided to stop this whole ruse. Which is unbelievably not him. So option 'A' it is.

"Oh right. That's something you're unfamiliar with, right?" He retorts. I keep my lips in a smirk, not allowing my façade to break. In reality, he's right. I've been single my entire life and it's not like I'm happy about it. Boys just can't handle my jokes and personality, though my mom says it's because I scare them away or I'm scared of them. Potato Potahto.

In the end, I couldn't find a good enough retaliation, so, I stuck my tongue out at him. Mhm, very mature of me. Did it help my case? Absolutely not. Was it worth it? Absolutely. "Seems I was correct," says Zach with an equally childish face.  Not that my face was childish because I am one very professional girl. 

"Zach, shut up. Now, drive me to school." I smile at him with fake cheeriness. His face contorts into one of annoyance before grabbing his car keys. He points towards the door and says "Your carriage awaits M'lady." Oh, did I mention he was being sarcastic?

The car ride to school was "dangerous" to say the least. Someone was trying to get me killed and by someone, I mean Zach. Definitely, Zach.  

...

I spend the entire day at school thinking of ways Zach was going to get me back because, surely, he wasn't going to let me slide. In that case, I should also start jotting down some ideas. My plotting was soon to be interrupted by Kelsey running down the hallway, straight towards me. "Did you hear?" Kelsey bobs her head excitedly. It takes all my effort to keep up with her. I slowly shake my head 'no'. "We're having a school dance!" She pumps her hand into the air. She's spinning with excitement but all I feel is dread. 

"No. I don't wanna go." I quickly say before she starts getting any ideas. Kelsey quickly becomes somber, "Why, Brie? Why?" She pouts. 

"You know, I hate these things?" I open my locker before grabbing my stuff. I still have some plotting to do. Kelsey then starts to giggle, I can practically see the light bulb on top of her head.

"You hate them because you never have a date and if I can recall, I remember one hot and very good-looking boy in close quarters with you." She waggles her eyebrows. 

Then, it dawns on me. She means Zach. 

ZACH.

"No. No. Kelsey, that's my worst nightmare." 

"Oh, come on." She rolls her eyes. "Just imagine, you and Zach. Dressed in a dress and suit. What a picture." She swoons as if my life would soon become a fairytale. 

I plug my ears before I also get infected with her disease, Kelsey begins reaching for my hands and I take off. I run out of the hallway and into an empty classroom to begin studying while I wait for Zach to take me home. 

The quietness surrounds me and in no time I start thinking about everything except trigonometry. 

 Me and Zach? Together at a dance? 

On a date?

No! Never!