Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Yeji

By the time I reach the bus stop, I'm completely out of breath. Despite the cold air, I feel sweat dripping down my forehead. I wipe it away, waiting impatiently for the next bus to come.

I am such an idiot. I can't believe I forgot to make Haein lunch! I wasn't thinking. Even though I can get lunch at the cafeteria now, he still needs me to make his food. The daycare doesn't provide anything.

I speed onto the bus as soon as the doors open. Every time the bus stops, I groan internally. There is no way I'm going to make it back to school before classes start again.

I finally reach the stop for his daycare. I get off and run to the nearest convenience store. I grab his favorite chips, a kimbap triangle and a banana milk.

I'm about to check out when I worry that it's not enough food. He's small, but he eats a lot to support his busy body. I run back to the fridge section and grab a hot bar too.

By the time I return, four more people are in line. Fuck. I should have just paid and left. He can be a little hungry for one day. Now I'm for sure going to be late.

I finally leave the store, running back across the street to his daycare. When I step inside, the desk lady looks up at me in surprise. I'm not sure if it's because of my abrupt entrance, my hazardous appearance, or the fact that I'm supposed to be in school.

"I forgot to give Haein his lunch," I explain, holding up the bag of convenience store food as evidence.

"Noona?" I hear Haein question when he hears my voice. I watch him glance around the room before his eyes finally fall on me.

"Noona!" he runs to the edge of the play area excitedly. "Time to go already?" he asks. He seems conflicted, glancing back at the other kids.

"No, I just came to give you your lunch," I tell him. "I'll put it in your cubby for you," I add.

"Thank you! I was so hungry during snack time when everyone else was eating," he sighs. I feel a stab of guilt in my chest. I need to take better care of him.

"I'm sorry. I'll remember to pack you lunch and snacks from now on," I apologize.

"It's okay!" he grins widely. "Can I go play with my frens now?" he asks. Kids forgive so easily...

"Yes, go play. I'll be back later to pick you up," I tell him.

"Bye Noona!" he shouts, spinning around and scrambling away.

I let myself watch him play happily for a few seconds, before rushing back outside to catch the next bus.

As I'm sitting on the way back to school, I accept the fact that I'm going to be late. It's a terrible first impression to make but there is nothing I can do about it now.

I run to school as soon as my feet touch the ground, figuring every minute counts. I exchange my books as quickly as possible and then head to class.

I try to open the door more quietly than Jungkook did when he walked in late, but everyone still turns to look at me when I walk in.

"I'm so sorry for being late," I apologize sincerely, bowing to the teacher.

"Take your seat, and then stay for detention after school," he says shortly.

I nod, a little irritated that he isn't being more lenient. If I have to stay late, I have to pay for more time at the daycare.

I collapse into my seat, the exhaustion from all the running finally catching up to me.