Chapter 10

Yeji

"Hey I gotta do something first. Can you grab food for me?" Jungkook says when we are dismissed for lunch. My ankle is feeling better enough for me to walk on it now, so I don't need crutches anymore.

"Yeah sure," I say, trying to mask my excitement. Last night after I forgave him for tormenting me in front of Mr. Park, Jungkook asked if I wanted to start eating with him every other day.

He said it was nice when we ate together last week, and that it would be even more enjoyable if we aren't doing math this time. He enjoys hanging out with me. I know it's stupid to get my hopes up, but I don't care.

I drop my stuff at my locker before heading to the cafeteria. After scanning the different options, I pick out two kimbap rolls and some rice. The table we sat at last week is taken, so I end up sitting on the other side of the cafeteria. I search for my phone to text Jungkook where I am, but then I realize that I left it in my bag.

I leave our lunches at the table. It'll only take a second to get my phone, so I don't think they will get thrown away.

I jog through the halls towards my locker, but suddenly I see something and freeze. My heart drops and a bitter taste settles in my mouth.

Jungkook stands in front of me, and normally I'm happy to see him. But not when he is pressing a girl up against the lockers, making out. I feel a wave of jealousy wash over me, even though I'm technically not entitled to feel this way.

"If you changed your mind about eating with me, you should have just said so. Or did you just want to keep me as plan b in case you couldn't find someone else to play with?" I spit out, unable to control my emotions.

Jungkook pulls away at the sound of my voice and looks at me. I hate the way his cheeks are flushed and his lips are swollen and shimmering due to someone else.

"Yeji? I was going to come in like five minutes, I swear," he chuckles. He thinks this is funny?!

"Yah, is that supposed to make it better? I just sit and wait alone while you squeeze in a quickie?" I scoff.

"I told you I had to do something first!" he argues, making me roll my eyes. So this was planned then? That makes it even worse.

"I would have been fine waiting if you were talking to a teacher or calling a friend, but you were..." I wave my hands around to gesture at the girl.

"I'm gonna go..." the girl says uncomfortably. Jungkook doesn't acknowledge her words, which makes me feel a little better.

"Are you jealous that I was making out with someone else? I have always been very clear that I hook up with a lot of girls," he says in a deeper voice, scolding me.

"Yeah, you'll go for basically everyone... except me for some reason," I sigh.

And then suddenly I'm being yanked forward. Jungkook pins me against the lockers in a flash, leaning in dangerously close.

"Is this what you want? You want me to treat you like all the other girls who mean nothing to me?," he growls into my ear.

"No," I mumble. Even if I feel excited by our sudden closeness, I don't like the circumstance.

"Exactly. I don't care if you liked pretending during the party. You aren't a slut like them so I'm not going to treat you like one," he says, pulling away slightly to look into my eyes.

Even though his words are harsh, the warmth in his eyes tells me that he is doing this because he cares. I'm about to apologize for getting upset, but I get cut off.